Thread: Double drawer dishwashers

Double drawer dishwashers

I'm deciding whether or not to install one in a bar area as the customer wants one. They asked my opinion. I have not heard good things about them.....i.e. leaking, drawers don't slide well, motor failure etc.

Any opinions?

I only know one person who has one. They do not have any kids and found that they were running the dishwasher because the top section was getting filled while the lower part was basically empty. So they got a two drawer. What they found was that they do run the top more but they still have to run the bottom because the dishes would start to smell in a day or two.

So it was a partial success for them -- but they would not get one again.

For a bar area just doing glasses may be a plus.

I do not believe they have had any issues with it.

Fisher Paykel had some troubles with them when they first came out, seem to have most of the bugs worked out now.

In a bar situation I'd think they would work nice.

Al
    Remember our vets, they need our help, just like they helped us.

Smile Stay away

We had a F&P double drawer. High priced and absolutely not worth it. I loved the fact of not having to bend over to put dishes in the top drawer. It broke after 9 months and it took over 7 weeks to get it repaired. They added an extra year of warrenty to take it up to two years. 25 months after purchase a motor burned up. There response was that nothing is made to last forever. $1300 for a dishwasher. I took it out and threw it in the trash. It was a good day. IMHO STAY AWAY!
    I am thinking that 11 is a quiver full.....

Counterpoint...

We've had a F&P double drawer for 8 years and it's had one minor repair, not under waranty but the part was covered by our dealer as a goodwill gesture. It still works and looks just like new. The only reason I'd buy something else is that it's a little noisier than some of the newest offerings from Bosch.

John

I installed 4 or 5 of these in client kitchens over the years. None of the clients gave the system rave reviews. Consensus was "okay but not sure I'd do it again". Factor in the cognitive dissonance effect and I'd say thumbs down. More $$, harder to install and service (esp. if they want wood faces to match cabinets) and less net room for dishes - for less money you can get a very good Miele unit that you never know is running. My $0.02, YMMV.
    The problem with education in the School of Hard Knocks is that by the time you're educated, you're too old to do anything.

I put two F&P single drawer dishwashers in when I redid my kitchen. They had regular drawers beneath them so no bending to load either one. They worked okay but I always felt they didn't do a real good job of cleaning. For bar ware they would probably be okay. Sold the house after a couple of years so no long term recommendations.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Someone mentioned Bosch. If you are wanting the two drawer system so you don't have to run a full load (that may be a foolish statement, I haven't looked into two drawer models) then that's one thing. But, if the big attraction is being able to run two sets of "top rack" dishes at once (again excuse my ignorance on the subject of the two drawer washers), the the Bosch washers would be a great solution. Their design doesn't require certain items to be in the top rack, And, if the items are all glass and metal (no plastic) the the Bosch really shines. It's also so quiet that if it didn't beep after a load finished, you'd never know it.

We've had an F&P two-drawer dishwasher for about five years.

No complaints, no leaks (knock wood), dish cleaning results are much better than the standard dishwasher it replaced.

Best results require using a rinsing agent. And you periodically need to clean out the filter in each drawer.

Ken

I installed the Fischer-Paykel dishdrawers when I renovated our kitchen in 2003. I love them. They work well, are very quiet, and have motor technology unequaled in any of the "traditional" format dishwashers. They don't leak, either...they are one piece moldings without any seams. That said, they also were not inexpensive.

The only downside that we have experienced with them is that they cannot fit "really large" things, such as 14" chargers. No problem...we've only ever used them as serving plates and the two or three times that happened, it was a snap to wash them by hand.

We also appreciate the ability to be able to run smaller loads and still have a place to put "new" dirty dishes and glasses. It's much more efficient for us.

The one thing I wish I could have done (but couldn't in our particular kitchen layout situation) was to use two separate single dishdrawers in the top position on either side of the sink. While loading the lower drawer isn't a hassle or a problem now, over the years as we get older, it would make for less bending. This is can be a big advantage for anyone with certain physical infirmities.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 02-11-2010 at 10:31 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I installed the Fischer-Paykel dishdrawers when I renovated our kitchen in 2003. I love them. They work well, are very quiet, and have motor technology unequaled in any of the "traditional" format dishwashers. They don't leak, either...they are one piece moldings without any seams. That said, they also were not inexpensive.

The only downside that we have experienced with them is that they cannot fit "really large" things, such as 14" chargers. No problem...we've only ever used them as serving plates and the two or three times that happened, it was a snap to wash them by hand.

We also appreciate the ability to be able to run smaller loads and still have a place to put "new" dirty dishes and glasses. It's much more efficient for us.

The one thing I wish I could have done (but couldn't in our particular kitchen layout situation) was to use two separate single dish-drawers in the top position on either side of the sink. While loading the lower drawer isn't a hassle or a problem now, over the years as we get older, it would make for less bending. This is can be a big advantage for anyone with certain physical infirmities.

When the F&P rep was out for one of our warranty training sessions, he mention the dish-drawers were designed for things like home bars, MIL apts, and any situation where a smaller unit was desired.

They were not designed to replace standard units.

Either way, one should check the internal lay out before buying any dishwasher, they not all the same.

They are a good product, biggest complaint is servicing and part availability.
    Al

Can I assume the stories of leakage and motor failures have been remedied in the newer models? Seems most of those instances were in 2007 models, if I recall correctly.

We see very few instances of leakage in new units, and most I know of are from misuse now.

Al