Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advanced Fettling 404

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Zaffuto View Post
    How do you use this product? Do you need a release agent on one side of the threads?

Thanks!

Curse you Jim for that metal working tool website (Victor Macinery Exchange). I see many dollars floating that way!
    Tony, The Form-A-Thread Kit comes with a release agent. None of my local retail outlets carries it. One said their Tacoma outlet has a couple in stock. If this becomes my plan, it will likely be ordered online.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bussey View Post
    This is good information. But a better way to solve the problem is to not cause the problem in the first place. There is no reason for any screw or threaded part on a plane to be tightened to the point of stripping ( pulling out the thread) Also clean threads go together better. Care when starting the threaded part into the hole is essential.

On the other hand one can not control what other previous owners have done so your information is pertinent.
    Thanks Tom, This plane is a type 6, making it about 130 years old. This was definitely a problem from one of the previous owners.

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Yeah. Thanks A LOT Jim! In one quick look, I already saw $100 worth stuff I "need`.
    Tony, Fred, Sorry about that. Victor Machinery has already cleaned out my wallet a few times.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Herman View Post
    anyone vouch for their drills?
    Adam, One of my drill indexes was filled in with bits from Victor. They all seem to be quality bits.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    I wonder what effect seasonal changes have? Some well meaning fettler snugs up the tote screw during winter when his heated shop is dry as a bone. On about July the warmth and higher humidity swell the tote and put a heck of a pull on the threads. I've had it go the other way too. A plane I restored in the summer had a loose tote in the winter.
    There may be some problems wtih this Rob. In the past there have been posts about people loosening tote and knob screws if planes would be unused for long periods or in the spring.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Jim, you didn't empty our wallets, you only opened our eyes to skills (and tools) we need to acquire!
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

JB weld is good but you can supplement that with a few more threads by drilling right thru the bottom of the plane. That makes it easier to tap and clean the threads. You will need to weld a washer to the bolt for a stop and finish the bolt at the sole. You will also need to flatten the land for the washer to bear on, but then it will be good to go.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    JB weld is good but you can supplement that with a few more threads by drilling right thru the bottom of the plane. That makes it easier to tap and clean the threads. You will need to weld a washer to the bolt for a stop and finish the bolt at the sole. You will also need to flatten the land for the washer to bear on, but then it will be good to go.
    If this route is taken, my thought is to tap it for a 1/4" thread and then make an insert from a 1/4" bolt to take the original bolt. Since this is one of two type 6 #4 planes in my shop, my other thought is to do a bit of rust hunting to see if another #4 calls out to me.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)