Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: MLCS Motorized Router Lift

Thanks to Stephen, original poster and to the moderators for a light touch.

I think this is a great "topic" for Gen Woodworking and am appreciative of the time Stephen took to pass along the info. I just noticed the thread tonight as it moved back to the top of the list. The exitement of the original poster is wonderful to see, reminds me of a few new tools or jigs especially I've gotten wound up about. I watched the info video linked from U-tube and the one part of the pool table video which discussed/demonstrated the powered lift used for loose tenon joinery.

As a proud recent upgrader to the bench dog lift with the steel insert table I'm in no danger of being in the market soon. I do plan on following the release and reviews of this new product. When on the market there may be a time when the thread becomes an ad but at present it represents the introduction of an entertaining and potentially helpful new topic. I would reject soundly the idea that there needs to be any limitation or obstruction to the thread continuing.

Thanks moderators. I say always err on the side of allowing access to information. I'm going over to take a look at Nixon's site at least to check on whether the DIY info is still available. Maybe I can McGiver up a motorized lift of my own with a old drill, some wire, and a head of cabbage.

Regards,
    Larry Rasmussen
    Checking in from Seattle

Larry, I hope it continues too, and that the same courtesy is extended to me- I have product coming out this fall or winter (minor problem with a supplier).

But, if you are a tinkerer at all, you can motorize your Bench Dog. While I don't have multiple speeds because I just used a reversible AC gear motor and have yet to hook up my Wixey height gauge, I have a pretty nice system that cost me less than $100 for everything (except the Woodpeckers Plunge Lift) - Wixey height readout, motor from the Surplus Center, shaft coupling, and a paddle switch. It works great! I can get minute changes by tapping the paddle- won't know how small until I hook up the Wixey- I never use the crank any more. I tried to interest Barry Wixey (Wixey Digital) and Rich Hummel (WoodPeckers) in an after-market, stepper motor version of my powered lift. It has certain advantages over just an AC or DC motor drive and can be easily added to any router lift, but they didn't bite (yet).

Early version:

Current version. Stronger and faster motor. Simpler and better mount:

Last edited by Alan Schaffter; 09-02-2010 at 1:49 AM.

Now I am fully intrigued...

The price looks great just the question of how solidly it is built and QC, I have no reason to think it won't we great.

Blog Entries

MLCS shows a release date of Sept 8 for their Power Lift

The introductory price of the PowerLift will be $389.95 and includes:

The PowerLift unit
    The control box
    Bidirectional foot pedal
    Articulating Control box mounting arm
    FREE SHIPPPING!

Join the MLCS Eclub for the pre-sale and special offers

check out the Eagle Lake Woodworking site for info

http://www.eaglelakewoodworking.com/...s-Arrived.aspx

Last edited by Kevin Gregoire; 09-02-2010 at 3:01 PM.

Hmmm... At $389 I would definitely be interested in purchasing one, but I'm afraid it isn't at all compatible with my new Triton router. I would have to purchase another 3hp router just to dedicate to the lift. Looks like I have to follow through with my plans to build my own lift.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Schaffter View Post
    Larry, I hope it continues too, and that the same courtesy is extended to me- I have product coming out this fall or winter (minor problem with a supplier).

But, if you are a tinkerer at all, you can motorize your Bench Dog. While I don't have multiple speeds because I just used a reversible AC gear motor and have yet to hook up my Wixey height gauge, I have a pretty nice system that cost me less than $100 for everything (except the Woodpeckers Plunge Lift) - Wixey height readout, motor from the Surplus Center, shaft coupling, and a paddle switch. It works great! I can get minute changes by tapping the paddle- won't know how small until I hook up the Wixey- I never use the crank any more. I tried to interest Barry Wixey (Wixey Digital) and Rich Hummel (WoodPeckers) in an after-market, stepper motor version of my powered lift. It has certain advantages over just an AC or DC motor drive and can be easily added to any router lift, but they didn't bite (yet).
    I'm curious as to how you built this for $100. The gear motors are usually more than $100 alone. I've been looking for one, as I didn't want to have to tear apart an electric driver.

But there are significant advantages to just using the cheap modified driver. It has a built in clutch to prevent too much torque from damaging your plunge base.

I figured I would need;

Reversible AC gear motor
    Variable Speed Controller
    Wixey Digital Height Gauge
    Bi-directional Foot Pedal
    Reversing Toggle Switch

All part included I figured I would be into it about $290. If I had a compatible router motor, I'd sooner just buy the MLCS lift.

Blog Entries
    well now that these have been out for a few months has anyone gotten one and tried it and what can you tell us?? post some pics too if you have em!

Gross...now people can make of tasteless over-routered pieces of work even faster.

The price is impressive, though, even though I have no interest in it. I would imagine it's making some other folks not so pleased, especially if it turns out to work as well as it says it does.

plate size

it looks like bench dog and mcls have different size plates. my router tables have 11 3/4 x 9 something. i know it fits my jointech and woodpecker lift. you need a different insert hole for the mcls and bench dog lift.

Well I alsojust received one after a long wait. I won't get into to details but I lookedat it and it is going back for several reasons. Mainly light weight poor quality. I called MLCS and they said send it back but thereis a 10% restocking fee. Now I am upset. I had faith in the company bought aproduct with no reviews and was an early adopter. Decided I didn't like thequality it was still new in box now if I want to return it I get hit shippingto me, shipping back to them and a restocking fee of 10%. I suggest people think carefully after looking at how this is made for the price and thererestocking fees realizing if you don't like it you will be out some cash.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 09-01-2011 at 9:59 AM. Reason: removed profanity
    -=Jason=-