Thread: Vortex!

Vortex!

The St Louis Wood Show is this weekend. I hope to be there and go to Woodcraft while I'm in the area.

It is my hope to get to pet a Nova 16-24. I know that most of you prefer a varible drive, my budget isn't that big. I know that some of you have that lathe, what are your thoughts on it? Have you had issues with the machine or warrenty? Is it noisy, does it have vibration issues?

Is there any thing else on the market comparable in price and capacity? I really don't do spindle work, so bed length isn't an issue. Mainly what I do is turn fire wood into smaller fire wood (bowls, pots, and handles)

I will eventually give my JWL 1220 to my son, it was an excellent machine for the money.

Bob

Hi Bob
    I just bought that nova about a month ago and been having a blast breaking it in! it is one nice machine ..no vibration no warranty issue's and runs so quiet that i can now here the shop radio while turning...life is good .
    only things i regret is that i didnt have the extra $ to get the bed extension and the hand wheel with the vac chuck attachment...they would both come in handy as i find that i am taking the tailstock off all the time for the swing room..forgetting that i can swing the head out..DUH! the vac chuck adapter would be nice for doing the bottom of bowls...but i make do ...its just a nice lathe and pleasure to turn on .

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hampton View Post
    Hi Bob
    I just bought that nova about a month ago and been having a blast breaking it in! it is one nice machine ..no vibration no warranty issue's and runs so quiet that i can now here the shop radio while turning...life is good .
    only things i regret is that i didnt have the extra $ to get the bed extension and the hand wheel with the vac chuck attachment...they would both come in handy as i find that i am taking the tailstock off all the time for the swing room..forgetting that i can swing the head out..DUH! the vac chuck adapter would be nice for doing the bottom of bowls...but i make do ...its just a nice lathe and pleasure to turn on .

Bob,

Thank you for the reply. That is information that I needed, I was beginning to think tha the were no Nova owners.

I just talked to the folks in Utah, they have a package comming up soon.

Are you using a Teknitool chuck with a lock?

Bob

Vortex

Bob,
    I have the Nova 3000, the previous version of the 1642. I bought it used about 1 year ago and have been satisfied with it. It has only a 1 hp motor, so I would like a bit more power. But I just turned a 30" platter using the rotating headstock at 90 deg, so it will probably do most anything you want.

I have also turned bowls up to 13" diameter, all dry wood. Mine is bolted to a large bench with sand to add weight, so I can't comment on whether the legs are sufficient. But I think it is a good combination for the money.

Good luck with your purchase. Brian

I received an email from Craft Supplies on Feb 9th that said free shipping plus a free bed extension on both Nova lathes while quantities last. Save $500
    Bill

Two thumbs up!

I almost bought the 16-24 and then the sale came about a year ago at WC, I went ahead and jumped on the DVR. I think the NOVA has good stuff, both machines are well made, and I don't think you'll be disappointed. And, good, helpful, and personal tech support with Tim in W.VA.