Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need a plunge router

Need a plunge router

First, I will admit I'm not crazy about routers, despite the fact that I have five or six of the d@mn*d things. Three are old Craftsman 1/4" pawn shop purchases, one is an old PC 690 (or what ever the 690 was 25 years ago), one is a big old PC 15 amp single speed (in the router table) and one is a newish DeWalt single speed fixed base model; I think it's a 616. One C'Man is pretty much always set up for dovetail jig work, and another has a laminate trim bit in it all the time. The others are used for normal utility router work. I find them a necessary evil, but sometimes they are the best way to get the job done. They are also noisy and messy.....

Anyway, my recent china cabinet project has made me realize that a plunge router might be a useful addition to the family. I haven't paid much attention to portable power tool reviews or discussions in the magazines or on line for years because I pretty much have everything I need, (and a lot of stuff I don't need, too) so I haven't a clue as to what the hot setup is these days for plunge routers. I'm not looking for anything fancy or expensive (so no Festool). I'd like to keep it under $150 - $200 if possible. I see that DeWalt does sell a plunge base for the 616 router, but it's over $100 at Amazon, which seems like a lot. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Dave Cav; 02-08-2010 at 2:30 AM.

About the hottest deal I know of currently is the Milwaukee 5615-24 combo kit for $139.51 shipped from Amazon. It's got a stout US made 11 amp motor, a nice BodyGrip fixed base and an excellent plunger, accepts standard PC bushings, carrying case, has both 1/4" & 1/2" collets, and is very well made.

Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I have the Hitachi KM12VC, which sometimes goes on special at Amazon for $99. Right now it's $162, so I'd probably second the Milwaukee. Still, the Hitachi's not bad and when it's $99 it's a tough deal to beat.

Thanks, I'll keep an eye on both of them. Looks like either would work just fine.

If you don't need/want a combo kit, I would highly recommend the DeWalt 621. I have one and love it and have never wished for a fixed base for it. I would also suggest looking at Pat Warners web site. He sells some router bases that are fantastic and has a lot of great info on routers.

Ditto and ditto. I have and like the Hitachi, but at the current price, I'd buy the Milwaukee.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick David View Post
    I have the Hitachi KM12VC, which sometimes goes on special at Amazon for $99. Right now it's $162, so I'd probably second the Milwaukee. Still, the Hitachi's not bad and when it's $99 it's a tough deal to beat.

I have been happy with my Bosch 1617EVSPK combo kit. I did a lot of research on reviews before I bought my router. I narrowed it down to this or the Porter Cable & ultimately decided on the Bosch. I did find a couple of reviews that said the Craftsman 2 hp Soft Start Fixed and Plunge Base Router does a good job for the price. It was rated the best budget router combo. I would have probably purchased the Craftsman combo if it was on sale when I was buying my router.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My dream plunge router would be if you could take the height adjustment mechanism from the DeWalt DW621 and graft it onto my Festool. I've used both and generally like the Festool better but I haven't yet seen any router that I think does the depth adjustment mechanism as well as the DW621 (or 625).
    Use the fence Luke

I've been leaning towards the Bosch 1617 combo, but with a new one coming out I thought that I would wait....either for the new one (depending upon how much $$) or maybe they'll discount the existing one then.

Anybody have any thoughts on this Freud?? It's $249 at Amazon. Not too bad in price considering it includes a plate for table mounting.

Freud FT1702VCEKP 2-1/4 HP Variable Speed Router with 2 Base Combo Kit - 1 Fixed base and 1 Plunge Base with Machined Aluminum Insert Plate Included In Kit Box

http://www.amazon.com/Freud-FT1702VC...654029&sr=1-55

10. Saw this on Ebay. Looks like a good price
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 08-20-2011 at 11:35 AM. Reason: removed ebay link ...not allowed per TOSs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Hsu View Post
    ...Anybody have any thoughts on this Freud?? It's $249 at Amazon. Not too bad in price considering it includes a plate for table mounting.

Freud FT1702VCEKP 2-1/4 HP Variable Speed Router with 2 Base Combo Kit - 1 Fixed base and 1 Plunge Base with Machined Aluminum Insert Plate Included In Kit Box

http://www.amazon.com/Freud-FT1702VC...654029&sr=1-55
    The FT1700 is a great table router, with a full compliment of above table features that allow easy one handed above table bit changes, above table height adjust, and a above table height lock. Those features are so convenient that the fixed base spends more time in my router table than my Milwaukee 5625, which is an excellent 15 amp table router. At 13 amps it'll do most tasks, but it doesn't have the guts that the MW5625 has. With that said, I don't think the plunge base is as good as the MW5615/MW5616, Hitachi, or Bosch. I also think $249 with an aluminum plate is pretty expensive for that kit....it was on sale without the plate for as low as $100 last year...those deals are gone, but you should be able to do better than $249....ReconditionedSales.com has the combo for $150 without a plate.
    Last edited by scott spencer; 02-09-2010 at 5:51 AM.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

+1 on the Milwaukee - excellent combo
    Stan

My favorite plunge router is DW 621. It is just the right size for most applications, very ergonomic and has great dust collection.

Thanks again for the input. I ordered a Milwaukee from Amazon this afternoon. Looking forward to using it. Great price, looks like a nice machine. The reviewers on Amzon seem to think so.

Quote Originally Posted by scott spencer View Post
    The FT1700 is a great table router, with a full compliment of above table features that allow easy one handed above table bit changes, above table height adjust, and a above table height lock. Those features are so convenient that the fixed base spends more time in my router table than my Milwaukee 5625, which is an excellent 15 amp table router. At 13 amps it'll do most tasks, but it doesn't have the guts that the MW5625 has. With that said, I don't think the plunge base is as good as the MW5615/MW5616, Hitachi, or Bosch. I also think $249 with an aluminum plate is pretty expensive for that kit....it was on sale without the plate for as low as $100 last year...those deals are gone, but you should be able to do better than $249....ReconditionedSales.com has the combo for $150 without a plate.
    +1

I got mine for about $100, love the fixed base, but it leaves me wanting a better plunge router.