Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: alphonse mucha panel - wip

Very cool. Diggin it.

I'd include a pic but it's kind of off-topic and it's one of his nudes. I'd say, just go for it. That's what makes it art. If the clay isn't your medium, the face that wants to, will come out of the wood on its own.

hi jonathan,,,when you tell me how mucha named her, or the drawing, i can look the picture, i most porabably have it, as i have a many books about mucha :-)

i descided to have some fun, and carved the flowers on the right side…. on the background one can see that the wood already darkened, as the places where i made cuts are much lighter in color ,,well i hope it evens out when it is finished ...and the second picture, a closeup showing better the soft shapes i tried to achieve, as well as giving idea of the scale for the flowers. kind f tricky to cut pine into so smal detail, but patientce and sharp tools make it possible,,,and listening to what the wood is telling :-)…i really love doing this

the panel progressed quite a bit, and so it might be time to share again... it not only progressed (i did recarve the folds around her leegs and under her feet to give them more definition and depth, as well as modeled her body and legs somewhat) but i also changed the design to a now pierced relief carving. i did not liked anymore the border in which the figure was so tightly enclosed, so it had to go... the top part will be pierced too, and then i hope the piece will gain the lightness i wanted achieve... so here is how far i am at the moment...

Nice!

I hope to be able to do work close to that good one day.
    Tom

hi thomas, thank you for the compliment. i believe everyone can do so, just start and be a little patient when in the beginning not exactely looks like you wanted, you will be surprised how quickly it goes. and, please,feel free to ask, i love to help whereever i can.

Hey, any updates to this project? I'm wondering how this turned out.

hi jonathan, no not much new to show yet,,,, unfortunuately i am too busy with my day job (plus i got sidetracked with modeling portraits in clay). ... thank you for your interest. i wil post update as soon as i return to work on it again (and i am determined to finish it...)

alphonse mucha panel finished

yes, i made it ! and, i hope you enjoy it same as i do... (more images on my blog ...)

Cool

WOW! I was'nt expecting to see this when i logged into
    the forum today. I am so glad you showed us the finished carving
    Doris. Very, very, very well done, and thank you for posting.

hi kevin, wow, thank you ! i was not too sure i can finish this, either, so i am really happy i did :-)

Wow that's fantastic, it came out splendid. Wonderful work.

hi jonathan, i am glad you see it, knowing you specially interested in it :-)

Fantastic , love Mucha and Art Nouveau in general. I need to learn to carve at some point.
    I know the voices in my head aren't real but boy do they come up with some good ideas !
    People discuss my art and pretend to understand as if it were necessary to understand, when it's simply necessary to love. - Claude Monet

thank you brian ! the best time to start on an idea is just the moment it occurs, so i want encourage you to take up a chisel and start right now ... the first cut is the most difficult, after that you will be hooked and it goes much easier :-) ... and, if you need help, you find lots of info on my blog, and you can ask questions there too, if you like...