Thread: Delta 46-460 Review

Delta 46-460 Review

I purchased my 46-460 in August of 2009, so I figured I'd do a review of my thoughts on it.

i previously used a Jet Mini without variable speed and was relatively happy with its performance. The variable speed is the biggest boon for the 46-460. Having the extra power may not be entirely necessary, but definitely helps when turning out larger objects. I've used the lathe with the stock 6" and 12" tool rests, the similar sizes from the Woodcraft tool rest system and the 4" and 6" Robust tool rests. All the rests have worked well. The stock rests and the Woodcraft ones are more prone to nicks and dings in the tool rest if you happen to catch a tool on a large chunk of wood, but have not encountered any such with the Robust rests.
    The ways are ground nicely and the banjo and tail stock both slide smoothly and lock securely.
    The banjo has a tendency to work loose from vibrations when rounding unbalanced chunks of wood, more so when the wood is drier and/or harder.
    I purchased the lathe without the bed extension and haven't yet needed the extra length but am still planning on getting the extension at a later date. If for no other reason, would be nice to have to park the tail stock further away from the headstock without have to remove it from the ways.
    The tail stock isn't real heavy so removing and replacing on the bed is a simple task when you need it out of the way.
    I bought my lathe from Acme Electric, Tool Crib of the North and when Delta came out and offered the Delta G3 chuck with the lathe, contacted me and provided me with one as well, (Nice gesture from them!). I've used the lathe with the Delta G3, the Nova G3 and the Oneway Talon, (my personal favorite). I've used the chucks with jaws ranging all the way up to the Oneway Mini Jumbo Jaws and never had any issues turning with any of them.
    The lathe has an indexing feature with 24 settings.
    The reversing feature is great for sanding and I typically don't lock my chucks in place as I've yet to have a chuck come loose from sanding. It offers the turner the opportunity to turn deeper hollowing cuts without leaning way over the lathe or going to the back of the lathe.
    I haven't tried any type of vacuum holding system but would be interested in knowing results from anyone who has done so.
    The belt changes easily from the front and electronic speed control provides a wide range of adjustment for each of the three pulley settings. I have yet to use the highest speed range pulley setting as the 1800 rpm offered in the middle range has been adequate for what I've turned to date.
    I have my lathe bolted to a work bench with a 2" thick butcher block top. The low speed of 250 rpm is slow enough to prevent excessive vibration from large out of round objects. I typically bandsaw my blanks and as such, don't encounter many serious unbalanced pieces.
    All in all, I would recommend this lathe to just about anyone.

Clint

Sounds like a great, sound lathe. I wish it had been out when I bought my Jet 1220 as I probably would have bought it. Thanks for the review.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Hi,

Thanks for your writeup on the 46-460. It was a help. I purchased one today.

Enjoy,

Jim
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.
    So. Calif. 5 miles to ocean

Good Choice

Hope you enjoy it. I've been quite happy with the one I got. Sounds like pretty much every one who picked one of these up feel similarly.

Clint

gettin one too!

It seems to have all the features that I want in a lathe over time. I have not heard a bad report, but they are not giving them away, so there shouldn't be. I probably wont pick mine up until the fall as accessories are eating up my funding......

Thanks for taking the time to write the review.
    mj

This is my "second" lathe

and it replaced a Jet mini VS that I used for teaching and demos. I found that it is nearly as portable as the mini if the banjo and tailstock are removed. I have put a handle in the extension holes at the tail stock end, and use the hatch for the pulley access at the head stock end for my left hand to lift it against my "turning muscle" (or tummy) and can lift it easily and safely into the back of my pickup. (I am 72.) From my perspective it is the perfect portable demo lathe. Much easier to tote around than my main lathe, a Mustard Monster.

I totally agree with the reviewers assessment. Smooth running, good VS range, nicely finished and plenty of power. A winner. No real competition in its class.
    Jerry Hall

Delta 46-469

I have had the pleasure of having one since Dec. 09. I concur with all that has been said. I am fortunate to have put together a Gast vacuum system. It too is very satisfactory.
    Peter

It's the next lathe I am going to buy.
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

I've had mine for about a year now and love it.I would like to try my hand at bigger bowls sometime in the future but for now this is a great lathe.
    Donny

I bought mine 6 months ago, to replace a Delta LA200 which I did like, though I love the new one, easy to take along as well, and why I got the previous Delta.
    I have turned quite a few pieces on it already, roughing and finish turned.

The only thing I would like to improve on is the tailstock, it ejects the MT pieces (center or chuck) way before the ram is all the way back, like an inch or more, it restricts the usable ram travel, even the live center that came with it will get ejected at a half inch before the ram is in.

Love the power and the wide belt on this one, banjo and tailstock clamp quite securely, and it is very quiet and vibration free, yes very nice lathe :-))
    Have fun and take care