Thread: Final Cut Blade?

Final Cut Blade?

I have seen a couple of ads for this and I was wondering if anyone has tried it out yet.
    www.finalcutblade.com
    It seems like it would burn the wood but they claim is leaves a smooth clean edge. Also curious how long those disks last, they seem a little pricey to me. They mention that you can also use them on a DeWalt blade with the good results and if it does what they claim it would be a great time saver in my shop.
    Any thoughts on this?

Blog Entries
    My thoughts are that it is unnecessary on a properly aligned saw. The tooth is wider than the blank and your material rubs only when stress release might cause it. When that does happen I don't want that area sanded. JMHO.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

A few years back, I believe the manufacturer, was on this forum and sent out some samples. From what I remember reading the blade itself wasn't that impressive and several wondered about putting the sandpaper on better blades. Then I remember reading two reviews (may not have been here), on how the sandpaper doesn't like to stay stuck to the blade/problems with clogging/tearing when swapping blades.

I got in on one of the trial blades and to be perfectly honest it isn't worth it. I didn't have to pay for mine and I am glad I didn't, I would have been upset. The blade is a generic 40tooth that is nothing special and they stuck a piece of sand paper on the side. It works well but the paper doesn't last long and the blade doesn't stop tear out. To me it is like one of those one hit wonder tools, like a dual saw or roto zip. It will be great for some people but for most others it will be a dust collector. I would spend my money on good cross cut and rip blades, or a top notch combo blade.
    Last edited by Paul Ryan; 02-06-2010 at 9:11 PM. Reason: spelling what else is new

Thumbs down

I tried one last year to do some bamboo slab cabinet doors, thinking it might save a step. Not worth the time it took to install, let alone the price.
    JR

Some ideas are... well... this one seems like one of those...
    David DeCristoforo

Even when using it to take off minor adjustment in the length just slide the wood into the spinning disk. The outer edge of the blade will deflect more that the inner part so you will be left with an angled cut. Terrible gimmick. You need the plate of the blade to be thinner than the teeth. I wonder what the kickback rate is with those things. They seem dangerous too.

We use the sandpaper on blades to cut aluminum extrusions.
    The results?
    Excellent to Awesome.

On wood?
    It can be a good solution if you have the right combo.
    of blade/sandpaper.

The kerf on the blade must be the right size.
    The blade must be 100% clean before applying the sandpaper.

If not... don't try it.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Ryan View Post
    I got in on one of the trial blades and to be perfectly honest it isn't worth it. I didn't have to pay for mine and I am glad I didn't, I would have been upset. The blade is a generic 40tooth that is nothing special and they stuck a piece of sand paper on the side. It works well but the paper doesn't last long and the blade doesn't stop tear out. ...
    My thoughts and experiences were very similar. Even when mounted on a better blade, the sandpaper seemed to clog and burn pretty easily...likely because of the high RPM of a TS. Once it heats up, the adhesive gives out.

This is pic was posted by someone else along the way, but is very representative of what happened to mine...even after trying to unclog it with a gum rubber stick.

Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Thanks folks. I thought this was kind of gimmicky but at the same time if it would work it would be great in the shop for me. After seeing the pic that Scott posted I have no doubts that it would require frequent changes of sandpaper or burning the edge of the wood. The cost of thier sanding disc is almost twice that of a 9" sanding disc elsewhere. Maybe I am missing something but.....

What they all said.

That was my picture up there. Sounded like a good idea . . . didn't really deliver though.

-Brian

Blog Entries
    I don't recall the trial blades mentioned, but I can see several problems with the idea. First, The sand paper is going to give you a cross grain sanding pattern on your wood. Second, the sandpaper is going to wear out. Third and probably most important. It isn't needed on a well aligned saw with a good blade. I have to look very closely on my saw to detect the cut side from the jointed side on rip cuts.

Lee
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute