Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cordless Drills

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Schafer View Post

my advice would be to not get axle-wrapped on specs, but go see which one fits your hand.
    gee, that almost makes too much sense

thanks to everyone for the input so far.
    fledgling weekend warrior

Brad-
    I haven't heard too many bad things about ANY new drill. I offer this:

For cabinet-work and driving, I really like the Ridgid 12v LiIon. The combo kit includes an Impact driver, and it can be had on sale for around $100. It's one of the only small drills to have a ratcheting chuck. However, caveat emptor that the combo version is single speed. For driving in tight spots it's great. The batteries are great, and it's light.

For drilling, I like my Makita 18v LiIon Compact. It has smaller bats than many of it's competitors, but the life's still great, and they're quick to charge.

If I had to have only one, I'd take the Mak. Small point, but remember too that the smaller drills with a cartridge style bat are snug, but many don't stand up on their own, which is a pain at times...

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Hanby View Post
    My folks got me this B&D Li-ion 1.4.4 volt drill for Christmass a couple of years ago and this Hitachi 18 volt a month or so later. The Hitachi is great, I use it constantly. It has great run time. The B&D works well too, right up to the point where it's out of juice (which is much faster than the Hitachi).

I use the tandem for almost every project. I keep a drill bit in the B&D for pilot holes, and a DeWalt quick change gizmo in the Hitachi for drivers and countersinks.
    I got that 14.4V B&D Lithium-ion drill a few years ago and absolutely love it. The integrated battery has never been a problem for me. All my NiCad drills just collected dust after its first use.

A few weeks ago I got the Ridgid set with a smallish drill. it has a half inch chuck, but is uncomfortable to use because the chuck is so short. The LSA on the batteries is nice.

If you are an occasional user, lithium-ion is the way to go.

I've used Bosch, Makita, and Dewalt drills and got onto the voltage treadmill for a while. Now I've got a Panasonic EY6432GQKW and I think it's a great drill. It's 15.6v, but still quite light. Comfortable, plenty of torque, and it hold a charge really well.

Drill question hah... Wish I got in on it a bit earlier. I am an electrician of about 10 years or so and use a cordless drill just about every day of my life. I hate to say it but as far as toughness goes you just can't beat the old NiCad Dewalt 18V XRP's. I can rough a whole house without ever picking up a right angle to drill all my holes through studs. And it will do it day in and day out. But this thing is a beast and not very confortable for weekend warrior, just proving the toughness point. This is not my reccomendation for you.

I have heard amazing things about the Panasonic 15.6v drill but have never personally used one. If I was to purchase a new drill I would try this one out next.

But my personal experience and reccomendation to you is for a Makita 18V lithium. The full size model is great and will last a long time on one battery charge. But in all honesty my go to drill 99% of the time around the woodshop and home is the compact Makita 18v black and white model. It is just so comfortable and light-weight. The chuck is 1/2" and has all the torque you need for around the shop and house projects. And I would also reccomend getting the impact/drill combo kit. For driving screws I only use my impact and absolutly love it. So long story short, buy the Makita 18v compact impact/drill combo kit and don't look back. You'll love it. I could go on forever about cordless drills but I wont.

This is probably too pricey, but a DeWalt XRP drill w/ the Nano batteries is really the cream of the crop as far as I'm concerned. I love twisting the collar to switch between drill and fastening, I love the 3 speeds, and I really love those Nano batts.

Gotta love the 3 year warranty on the drill and 2 years on the batts too.

7. Brad: I'll echo another's comments regarding the Bosch. I have their PS20 drill, the I-Driver, and the Multi Tool. Batteries on all are interchangeable and seem to last forever on a charge. Come with two batteries. These are now rated as 12V Mx, in reality are 10.8V, but have good torque. I just finished assembling and installing kitchen cabinets, and the compact size is really a blessing when working in confined areas, not to mention less weight which means less tiring. If you prefer a chuck type drill, they have that too. I've got a shop full of Bosch tools and never had a moments problem with any of them. Of course, if money is no object, go Festool.
    Last edited by Ed Taylor Greensboro NC; 02-05-2010 at 10:47 PM.

I have had several but my current is the Makita 18V model is BDF452HW. It is light weight, holds a charge great, charges in 15 minutes and fits my hand. The weight was a critical issue as I am not getting any younger and some of the drills were way too heavy. This one is great and I even like the LED light built in to it. I bought the kit with two batteries, flashlight and impact driver. I never thought that I would use the impact driver but putting in long deck screws it it much easier on my hands and wrists.

Brad,
    I have had several Craftsman drill drivers, 9.6V, 12V, and now 18V. While they have plenty of power, I am not impressed with their batteries. I may just send my 18V to one of those services that rebuilds them with "better" NiCad cells. The 9.6 and 12V are in the landfill somewhere.
    I've also had HF 18V and Handyman Club 14V...NOT worth it. I threw them out!!!
    I now have the Makita 18V LiIon drill and impact driver that I bought as a combo unit when HD had a sale. Impressive power and battery performance so far. For lighter duty, I just purchased the Hitachi 12V compact drill and impact driver combo, on sale at Lowes. I am impressed with the power of these 12 compact units. So, depending on your needs, you can't go wrong with either of these. I now pick up the 12V compact units because they are lighter and easier to handle for most of my work. When I really need some power, I grab the Makitas.
    I have not used the Craftsman 19V C3 units, so can't comment on on their battery life or power. If $$ are an issue, they sure win in that category.
    Measure twice - cut twice - Still TOO short!

I'm another non-pro, and another Craftsman 19.2 volt owner. The price fits my budget better. The drills have good power, but Craftsman is slow on updating to a better chuck. The batteries cost a bit less than other brands. I'm banking on the 19.2 volt system to be around for awhile, unlike some of the odd voltage drills that have been sold at Sears in the past.

John

I too am a weekend warrior. I do woodworking as well as a bit rougher construction, as I do set construction for the local junior high drama dept.

I have 4. Makita compact 18v lithium ion, the black and white models. The impact driver and matching drill. I use the drill to drill and impact driver to drive screws. I can then keep the drill bit in one and the screw bit in the other. These work great, last a long time between charges and are reasonably light.

For tight cabinet work, I have the Bosch PS20 and 30. These are the impact driver and drill in 10.8v. Small, light and the impact driver packs a good punch. When working in tight spaces, can't be beat. Only down side is that both are hex compatible, not a regular chuck. So the drill only takes quick release bits, not standard. I believe they make a version with a regular chuck as well.

All four get regular use. I can set up one to drill and the two impact drivers to drive phillips and square drive. That way the switching of bits is kept to a minimum.

Advice from a dealer...

We sell everything, all major brands. Cordless is our biggest sales volume.

Over the years we've seen everything and you get to know what really is the best vs. what sells the best (market perception, etc).

Right now we're all shocked by how friggin reliable, sturdy, well made and high performance the new milwaukee line of 18 volt lithiums are.

You get five years on the tools AND batteries. That's just about tops in the industry. The kicker is that they've priced them so competitively, you really HAVE to buy these if you're in the market for a new tool.

Looking at the price points and positioning, it's easy to draw the conclusion that Milwaukee is trying hard to launch this cordless line and pull market share from DeWalt and Makita and they're actually doing it with a quality product. The pricing in some cases is $100 less than the exact comparable kits from competitors and we're finding the drills to be SIGNIFICANTLY more reliable than the Makita, DeWalt, etc equivalents. You can't go wrong

If you use your cordless drill only intermitantly and want to be able to pick it up to drill a hole or drive a random screw without having to recharge it, the lithium ion batteries are the way to go, in my opinion. Once charged, they'll hold a charge a pretty long time on the shelf. If you're using your drill every day, thus charging it frequently, then this would not be as much of an issue.

As for cabinet work, it's great to have a compact, balanced drill and like others have said I like the small 12 volt lithium ions. I have the Milwaukee compact driver that's really great in small spaces. I don't have their compact drill, which I might have purchased instead of the driver if it had been available first, which I guess is why Milwaukee released the products in the order they did. Anyway, I think the Bosch, Makita, or Milwaukee 12 volt LION lines are great. One thing I like about the Milwaukee is the LED lights indicating charge level.

all great stuff, thanks guys.
    fledgling weekend warrior

For general purpose advanced DIY, I'd suggest going with an 18v Compact Lithium Ion set.

The 10.6v/12v compacts are very nice, but they don't have the power to run larger/longer screws into tough materials. I have the Bosch 10.6 (now 12) Impact Driver, and two of their straight Drivers. The Impactor struggled mightily running 2.5" #8 screws into predrilled hard maple endgrain, which was a bit disappointing to me. I ended up having to finish running some of them using a big honkin' Milwaukee 3/8" Holeshooter. No shortage of amperage there, but space was really tight and trigger control was problematic given my position and all. Things did improve when I gave the screws the candle treatment, the Impactor could handle it. If you do decide to go with the true compact Bosch, get the actual Drill/Driver, not the basic driver. Having a real drill chuck makes a huge difference in functionality. IIRC, the Makita 10.6 set is an Impact Driver and the Drill/Driver, and Milwaukee also makes a 12v Drill/Driver.

I'd skip the 14.4v tools, and step up to the 18v. The reason for the Compact 18v is, even though they have 1.5amp/h batteries rather than 3.0, is they almost always are truly smaller in size than the 3.0 versions. For most woodworking and cabinetry hanging stuff, I've found that smaller truly is better. The 18v will have enough guts to run 4" #12 screws into 40year old framing lumber, but compact size will allow you to get into the cabinet as well!

Were I starting from scratch right now, I'd go for the Milwaukee 18v Compacts, and hold out to see what the new 12v Bosch (announced at the International Home Builder's Show, but not yet shown) is going to be. I'm hoping that they are fully compatible with the existing tools, or that the existing 12v subcompacts get blown out by Lowe's. Either way, a 12v Drill/Driver is in my future, as is the 18v Milwaukee.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.