Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: QS Quad-linear Legs.. attn. Shawn Patel

Quote Originally Posted by John Thompson View Post
    ....wrap the tape warp with flexible 3/8" (I use 3/8") surgical tubing.............
    Missed the previous thread you mention below - but glad I saw this one. I never considered using surgical tubing for a clamp - excellent idea. As it turns out, I have a bunch left over from a project - slingshots for three neighbor kids (all three of us kids are in our 50's).

Thanks, John/Sarge
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Monson View Post
    Great post, I've got an oak dressor next up and would like the posts to be done this way.

If I would like to yield a 1 1/4" finished post, can I go slightly oversize so I can joint and plane for accurate surfaces? I would imagine if the same amount was taken off of each side the miters would not show?

Sure you can and I normally do. Any squeeze out of glue you may get gets scraped with a hand scraper (most of the time I use the back of a plane iron held vertical but a 5 degree cant) but anything you missed gets taken off in the planer or hand plane run for sure.

If you use the planer note..... say you are shooting for 1 1/4" as you mentioned. Say you make them 1 3/8" before the removal. You obviously have to take 1/16" off all four sides to ensure even width. So.. you set the planer for a 1/32" pass and run a side through. Rotate the leg to an adjacent side and run it through. Then make a pencil mark on both those side to avoid mis-orientation.

At that point you have to lower the planer cutters another 1/16". If you simply took 1/16" off one side then rotated to the opposite you would have to set the planer lower by 1/16"... then go back to the original setting you did the first side.. then lower again for the opposite. This not only waste time but you may never get the exact true setting you used for the first two passes.
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    Missed the previous thread you mention below - but glad I saw this one. I never considered using surgical tubing for a clamp - excellent idea. As it turns out, I have a bunch left over from a project - slingshots for three neighbor kids (all three of us kids are in our 50's).

Thanks, John/Sarge
    You may have 1/4" if you were using them for slingshots which should work fine. As you know the stuff is flexy and it is untra strong. The lexan resist any glue squeeze out also. And if someone has an old inner-tube (hard to come by these days compared to when I was a kid and you could carry off discarded ones behind filling stations until you were worn out) cut into strips works fine. I have also cut the end off of some longer bungy straps and used them to get er done. Field expediency at the hour of need!
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler