Thread: $$100.00 For RAS$$

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis

Question $$100.00 For RAS$$

I know they make a great place to stack stuff, but if you want to improve the safety of that old Cman RAS or maybe even get a $100.00 to get it out of your shop check out this sight.
    http://www.milestechnologies.com/mar...minemodels.asp
    I plugged in my modal and SN. They are either sending me a retro fit safety kit or I'm on another tool mailing list.
    Last edited by Tyler Howell; 10-23-2004 at 2:12 PM.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

That's a real deal Tyler

I've got a mid 80's one. Not really proud of it. Used only for cut-offs.
    I sent in about three years ago and got the retro safety kit. Came with a new table also.
    But---it's still in the box.
    Steve

My C-man RAS was my Dad's & was manufactured in 1966-67 He purchased it in 1967 & it is a 12" & they don't make an upgrade for it. I am keeping it & it will be lined up next to my CMS when I get done with the new CMS bench / cabinet.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

Bart, how do you know they don't make an upgrade for it? I inquired of Sears and at the Safety related website about the 12" saws and didn't even get a reply.

I concluded that the guards on the 12" already comply based on a photo comparison with the upgrade for a 10" RAS. I have 5 of these rascals so I really want to know. Steve

BTW, My daughter, son-in-law and grandson moved from Oak Harbor a couple of weeks ago after a 3 year stay. They really liked the area and I was hoping to visit them and check with you about a shop tour (and see your special tow truck). Time got away from me.
    Work safe, have fun, enjoy the sport.
    Remember that a guy never has to come down out of the clouds if he keeps filling the valleys with peaks. Steve

Hi Steve

I called back when they first started the recall & found out that they were not making the new table or guard system for it. I did find a 10" RAS that wasn't working that a fellow gave me, he said he had never liked the saw even when ti worked. I gave it to a friend of mine. I hauled it from where I got it to my friends house & fixed what I thought was wrong with it. Ya I pushed the reset button on the motor & it started right up. Great little saw with very little use. My friend called & they sent him the upgrade which included a new table & guard. The kit narrows the table from the front to the fence.

As to the truck its coming along slowly. You can get a mini shop tour here.

http://bartswoodshop.freeservers.com/

Maybe you can get up this way someday.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

A while back my neighbor gave me his dads old RAS. Its a craftsman, made sometime in the 60's. Anyway, I found out about the recall and actually ended up talking to one of the guys in charge of the recall or the safety department over there at Emerson Tool. I told them I was going to keep the saw so he explained the reason it was recalled. A number of people were injured when ripping boards by reaching behind the blade, and in a kickback situation having their arm pulled into the spinning blade. He said that over the 50 years of the saws being out there (or so) the percentage of actual injuries was rather low, less than like .1% or something super low like that. Needless to say I don't plan to rip boards with the saw, and someday when I move and lose touch with my neighbor, I might even get rid of the saw, but I put 30 bucks into it replacing the gears that lowers and raises it, and I would love to set it up and use it to cut dados and maybe 90% cuts... or just using it for a cutoff saw when dimensioning stock. Its such a nice tool and very well built, I couldn't imagine getting rid of it for 100 bucks. No one makes a tool this nice anymore. Though my delta SCMS kicks its butt up and down.

Chuck