Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bandsaw Guides

Bandsaw Guides

Do you have a bandsaw?

If yes, what is your choice for guides?

Why?

Delta 14". I use Cool Blocks. Don't have any problem with them but may check out the Carter roller guide system.
    Michael Gibbons

I think I like opening day of deer season more than any udder day of the year. It's like Christmas wit guns. - Remnar Soady

That bear is going to eat him alive. Go help him! That bear doesn't need any help! - The Three Stooges

John,

I have a Delta 14" er. I just recently bought and installed the Carter bearing upgrade kit for this from Creeker Van Huskey. It made a world of difference. It follows the lines much better now without forcing the cut. Just for the heck of it I made several scroll saw type, tight corner cuts, and it went through like butter. So, that is my choice, and the reason why.

Ray

I've got the delta 14". Last summer, I upgraded to a riser block, the carter bearings, and the carter tires (those blue ones) and new upper and lower wheel bearings. I also added that single bearing by Carter (can't remember the exact name for it) that you put in the upper guide and is used for the 1/8" size blades. It all works like a charm, very glad I did the upgrade.

blade guides

The blade guides that came with my Jet 14" bandsaw were some kind of plastic that melted about the third time I used it. Replaced them with some hard maple I cut on the table saw. I don't do any delicate cutting on the bandsaw, so these have done well for me for about 10 years
    The hurrier I goes, the behinder I gets.

I have the Grizzly G0555X with the Carter bearings. Really made a big difference in the cutting.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Ceramic. Little if any wear, and they help keep the blade clean. Good value per $.
    Richard in Wimberley

Carter bearing guides on my Ridgid 14" and Grizzly upgrade bearing guides on my Grizzly 18". I love roller bearing guides.
    I drink, therefore I am.

I like roller bearing guides for dry wood and square style guide blocks for wet wood. The wet wood fibers tend to get compressed onto the blade with the bearings while the blocks tend to prevent the buildup.

Blog Entries
    Yes, Grizzly G0513X. I am fine with the roller guides as supplied. I though they were wearing out and bought a full set of double sealed replacements for about $12. Turned out just one of the lower ones had something stuck behind it. The originals are still running.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

11. Carter roller bearings.
    Expensive, probably overkill, but they work very well.

Billbo
    Smyrna, GA

Carbide

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by bob hertle View Post
    Carbide

Bob
    Bob, could you elaborate on that? Don't think I've heard of that kind.

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by John King View Post
    Do you have a bandsaw?
    Yes. A Delta 14" w/riser made in USA

If yes, what is your choice for guides?
    I make them out of hardwood.

Why?
    I'm cheap.
    They don't cost me anything.
    I can bury the blade in them.
    They work great.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I agree with Dick. I was using my Delta 14" as a sawmill and found that changing the lower guide only to cool blocks worked best the keep the blade clean.