Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to know you're having a bad day

How to know you're having a bad day

In my day job I handle trim and built-ins. I do a lot of different stuff and this weekend was no different. During a complex 3 piece crown (another story about ceilings 6” off plane, major scribing and spring angle changes every piece it seemed) the Architect remarked that matching the existing railing (Made around the turn of the century) was going to cost x amount and take a huge amount of time. Not being one to miss a cash income I offered to match the rail for 200 bucks less and beat the lead-time by 3 weeks. Yes I whined about the rail when hand scraping but after mounting the rail I thought I was headed down hill. The pickets were ¾” x 1 1/8” and I was ripping them from rough sawn oak air dried for a zillion years. I had these off cuts from a pile I bought a few months ago that were longer then my storage so I cut a few down to size and stacked the off cuts (roughly 42” long)

Now to take rough stock down the plan was to cut a straight line, use that to cut the wide pieces down to size some more (most of this stuff is from 10 ½” to 14”) and work around the any bad wood. So I cut and cut and cut and cut and cut some more until I had a good sized pile of wood that was a little over 7/8” thick and ranged from 2” to 2 1/8” thick. The next step was to cut one side down with another straight side. Not a bad task with a 40” strip of oak against an 8 ft straight fence. In the course of doing this I usually have someone help catching as I feed wood through the table saw. During this I was alone and had to reach over the saw to grab the cut piece while the scrap fell to the floor. Now I’m the first to admit that even as old as I am I scared of my power tools and yes I’m ok with that. I use custom push sticks, think before each cut and generally keep my hands, fingers and body the hell away from moving parts when operating machinery. That so far has kept all my parts attached to me and allowed me to return home to the wife at the end of the day without a side trip to have parts sewn back on.

I’m being of so careful at the jobsite by myself even killing the saw when I start ripping a new piece of wood while I study the piece looking for issues or such that might offer a nasty surprise in the middle of a cut. I figure an on/off switch is cheaper then finding a problem in the middle of a cut. I even remind myself that repetitive cuts are the ones that cause problems as you relax in the middle of something like cutting 50 zillion pickets. So every cut is approached just like it’s the first one. Of course even with all your careful planning you can’t just account for Murphy. Like when he showed up and I dropped one of those pieces of oak 40” long 7/8” of an inch thick and 1 ¾” wide into the running table saw blade.

Now in ones life there are life changing events and then there are life changing events and dropping that chunk of wood into a spinning 10” saw blade was a life changing events. I don’t think the human mind can follow the progress as a chunk of matter is accelerated past the speed of light and using some sort of string theory god partial science to just materialize suddenly sticking out of a door. Ok so it was a hollow core door but a piece of wood just appearing, sticking out of a door is pretty mind blowing event in my world. But the cause and its effect was one and same as one moment in time the wood is falling from my hand and the exact same moment it appears in the door. Of course when one drops a chuck of wood into a spinning blade one just doesn’t stand still. No, it’s sort of a dance as your middle aged body attempts to leap back while raising your hands over your head. During this of course your heart jumps into your throat and your body’s responding to age old conditioning produces huge amount of drugs that it dumps into your body as you prepare to kill a saber tooth tiger or in this case dodge a speeding chuck of wood. Of course a little voice somewhere in the back of your head is telling that it’s all to late and someone, sometime, might find your body pinned to the wall by said chunk of wood. With this little voice are pictures of your impaled body hanging from the wall being plastered all over the net as a warning to all about just how stupid people can be by allowing themselves to be impaled by a piece of wood. On the up side my 15 minutes of fame in death could become a great urban myth and no greater source then the mighty Myth Busters could someday attempt to recreate the accident and my fate is placed on the shelf as being busted.

So let recap for a minute, I have dropped a chunk of hardwood into the running table saw blade. The blade caught the chunk and sent it traveling a zillion miles an hour into a hollow core door. During the drop and shoot I perform a sort of funky chicken dance. Yup that about covers up to the point of where the homeowners and architect walk through the door as I’m reaching down to switch off the saw. I’m sure the story is different from their point of view but we all agree that a chuck of wood suddenly showing up in the door isn’t a good thing. So anybody got a good deal on a 30” slab so I can replace a door?

Last edited by Bill HammerII; 02-01-2010 at 10:21 PM.

What a story! Funny and scary!

Must admit I had to chuckle a bit after I read you were OK. Glad it turned out OK for you. You have to repair a door but hey, that's better than repairing you.

I did the same thing last night. I dropped a 4" piece of maple into the PM66 blade. It had a 45 degree angle on the end. It then proceeded to shoot back at me and hit me in the face about a 1/2 inch below my lip. Did I ever bleed!!! I was sure a hospital trip was on the agenda....but fortunately the cut wasn't quite deep enough to require stitches. I will now put the sharkguard back on after I have to take it off for a cut.

I am glad that all got hurt in your case was a door.

Bill, glad to hear you are not injured. These toys we are all so fascinated with really do have some umph to them.

The entire time I was reading your post, I was trying to concentrate on your story but all I could do is picture what happened to me a couple of months ago.

I was cutting a piece of lacewood...about 1" x 2 1/2" by 8" in half (crosscut). The 1/2 to the left of the blade caught the blade and sent it right at my face. Before I knew what happened, WHAM right under my chin! A CORNER hit me and not only cut me pretty nicely, but gave me a heck of a bruise. I bit my tounge and had about 6 little red spots on the tip of my tongue.

I'm alright, but I thought about how lucky I was. Yes I was wearing eye protection, but that could have hit ANYWHERE else on my face and caused huge damage. It could also have hit my Adam's Apple and kept me from being able to breathe...scary.

This wasn't meant as a hijack...just to let you know you aren't alone. Welcome to the TS lucky club... unless you joined before .

Also, at my last job, we used to yell "Arrows!" whenever we were cutting anything that would leave a thin strip on the TS because it would shoot them across the room like, well, arrows.

Okay, I can't believe it hasn't started yet, but let it begin. What you ask? All the questions about how all these things could happen with TS gaurds in place...
    I drink, therefore I am.

Bill,

I read every one of these posts just to remind me. Soooo glad you weren't in the way of the wood. Within 10mins of putting my first saw together I had my first kickback. Put a beautiful black, blue, yellow, orange, etc. colored area near you know what. Since then, I wear a heavy shop apron, understand what causes kickback (didn't then), agree with your comments about respecting your moving tools, and approach my TS with the utmost respect. I use, a splitter, Grrr-Rippers, Grip-tites, variety of push sticks, and I still worry. Thanks for the reminder we work in a real dangerous environment. Your description was great! Hanging a hollow core door is easy, filling a hole in a body can be very costly.

I am also in the club but alas also in the door protecting club. Welcome.

I took a 12" square 3/4" ply piece to the gut in 2006. Cut/Lacerated me through my shirt (as in it pushed my shirt into me). It flipped the wood up and sent it flying/spinning on an angle like a frisbee on edge. Had a mark for 6 moths. Hit me like a missle and knocked the wind out of me kinda. Had it hit my ribs I bet it would have broken/bruised them.

That is the day I learned to stand out of the blade path more effectively and learned how to install a splitter and leave it there. Love the riving knife on the sawstop too.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Wow Bill... what a close call! Glad to hear you made it out ok!

I was just thinking about things like this when ripping on my new R4511, which is the most powerful saw I've yet to use! (first saw bigger than a table top!)

Your story will definitely come to mind when thinking about TS safety!

Bill - Glad you are ok. That was a close call.

However - my question is why is a house that is matching trim and doing big crown moulding and all that - why does this house have hollow core doors???? I'd take the opportunity to suggest that maybe real wood doors are in order.

I am very familiar with the same chicken dance maneuver that you describe!

Hm glad you were out of the timber's flight path.

Curious about this matter of saw safety in the States, why so many ppl don't use a fixed riving knife , short fence, and pushsticks. Also, why ppl don't take a short course be it 1/2 a day to learn machine safety ?
    Surely the cost of safety training is far outweighed by the cost of going to the ER and time healing from certain injuries.

just my eurocents worth.
    hs
    You name it , I'll butcher it

Bill, I'm glad you are okay. Accident aside you are a very funny writer. I can't wait to read your next story. Got any more?

-Brian

Seems like a good day if you didn't get hurt...Pretty cheap accident all in all.

The glass is always half full.

I am so happy that these accidents haven't turned out worse.

Dropping something on the blade, is obviously something that a blade guard would have prevented.

The others, where it sounds like the piece rotated into the rear of the blade, do you think a well fitted splitter or riving knife would have prevented it?

Regards, Rod.

P.S. I'm not blaming anyone for not doing something, or for doing something they shouldn't, just curious what could have been done to prevent it, or what the individuals have done to prevent it in the future.

Makes a good weapon. A few yers ago I was ripping a good edge on some eastern red cedar. It's interesting stuff to saw - like cardboard through the wood and like concrete in the knots. I had made a rip to get a clean edge and picked up the cutoff to toss on a scrap pile behind me. It came apart at a loose knot and a sizeable chunk fell on the blade. It came zooming back and hit me in the stomach. Lucky for me it wasn't a very large piece and had fallen in such a way it didn't get a lot of speed and it twisted and hit me broadside rather than like a lance. Still got my attention, though.
    And now for something completely different....