Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wanting to get a router plane

Wanting to get a router plane

I think me next tool purchase will be a full-size router plane. Can anyone recommend one? I have never handled, much less used one of these before.

I see that the old Stanley 71 go pretty inexpensively on Ebay, but they look to me like they have a lot of fiddly little parts and I am thinking I'd be better off to buy a new Veritas model. Please advise.
    Last edited by Zach England; 01-10-2010 at 3:00 PM.

2. FWIW, I sold off my Stanley 71 and bought the LV Large with the fence; don't even think about getting it without the fence. I thought about the LN for a long time, but I found the LV is a bit more to my liking. I've never looked back.

I've got 2 of them. They actually do a very good job. If for instance you are going to route a dado, you have to cut the sides with a saw, but the 71 router will do the rest....and as fast as an electric one. They really are no more than a fixed chisel. But you'll besurprised how well they do and real quite.
    BTW...what's that long black rope for on an electric router? I keep pulling it but the thing won't start!

Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

Black rope is for hanging yourself after your router skips out of whatever jig you conjured up and makes a mess of your workpiece. Hence the desire for a router plane.

actually its a cobination stop switch, and leach for when it gets away from you, and a finder for when it gets away and hides under something. It also works as a tether when you swing it around and let it go when its on a path for the scrap box.
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

Thanks for the replies. I tried to search but did not come up with much. Probably EEBCAK. I think I will buy the Veritas.

For the record, I have nothing against routers. I just think a router plane would be a lot easier to use for some tasks.

Whichever one you buy, get one with a depth adjusting wheel. I find it really difficult to adjust the depth by hand.

I bought the Lie Nielsen small router plane but don't use it that much because I find it hard to adjust.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

West of Boston East of worcester north of RI South of nashua
    I have one veritas on the way - bought specifically for helping with dados on the project I am about to start.

derek cohen and alice frampton have done nice write ups/ reviews on it

I also have no issues w/ tailed tools if it makes the job easier but I want to master my handtool skills before I choose which tailed tools will be most valuable to me.

hope the veritas works for you!
    Andy
    Keep Life Simple

I just use a 71 1/2. Router planes are one trick ponies. The large number of home made examples that cam be found show that it is pretty specialized, i would think, and also quite simple. Mine is a bronze patternmakers copy. I have used it 3 times in 3 years. Plowing grooves goes to the plow plane, dadoes go to a handsaw with a guide, and for cleanup, a couple of chisels and a rabbet plane. Maybe the router plane if it gets really gnarly. I dont like them very much, every stroke you have to readjust the depth. i am sure it is an operator issue. the vast quantity of user made ones may also be testimony to the router planes versatility and value.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    Whichever one you buy, get one with a depth adjusting wheel. I find it really difficult to adjust the depth by hand.

I bought the Lie Nielsen small router plane but don't use it that much because I find it hard to adjust.

Mike
    Yep - I found the same thing with my Veritas small router plane. Frustrating, huh? After two years of messing with it, I have a LV Large one on the way.

For the OP: Had some difficulty deciding between the LN and LV, but ultimately chose the LV because it comes with three blades, a better fence system (even though it's optional) a jig to sharpen the 1/2" blades, and like the Stanley 71 1/2, it doesn't have the hump. Oh yea, took advantage of it during the free shipping days too.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach England View Post
    I think me next tool purchase will be a full-size router plane. Can anyone recommend one? I have never handled, much less used one of these before.

I see that the old Stanley 71 go pretty inexpensively on Ebay, but they look to me like they have a lot of fiddly little parts and I am thinking I'd be better off to buy a new Veritas model. Please advise.
    I have and have used both the Stanley 71-1/2 and the LN full-sized router planes. Both will do the job well, but the LN is a much nicer functioning plane.

No experience with the LV router, although it looks very nice, and given LV's reputation, and my experience with other LV tools, I'm sure that you would be very satisfied with it, as well.
    James

"Uke is always right."
    (Attributed to Ueshiba Morihei)

I went with the LV as well. It works great, just be sure to have a good work-holding system. I use it for dadoes a lot but I hog-off the waste with chisels first. To me, it's more of a finishing tool. Chisels are much faster to use for removing the waste. I really love it for tenon cheeks. You can get consistent depths on your tenon cheeks by using the router plane on each side.

West of Boston East of worcester north of RI South of nashua
    I love illustrated posts - thanks for posting the pic
    Andy
    Keep Life Simple

+1 for the Veritas, I don't have one, but it is on my list... long list!!