Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gloat...60 year old Delta tools

Gloat...60 year old Delta tools EDIT:pics now in thread

I had a tip from the SMC classifieds on some old Delata tools on sale 2 hours from me. I went down and it was a model 1460 lathe, a model 645(?) jointer, and a unknown model stand sander. They were all stored in a barn for the last 60 years, so everything is rust colored for the most part...recoverable I think. The serial numbersindicate a 1944 construction, all were supposedly purchased together.

The lathe is in good shap and runs without much vibration could use a new belt. THe tool rest is missing, the locking mechanism for the tail stock is missing and the guard over the top pulleys is missing too. All of which should be easily bought or fabricated. It has a cast iron stand with

The jointer(the ad said shaper) is a 6 inch with 30 inch bed. No apparent missing parts guards all presnt. It could us a good set of blades. IT looks to be a model 654. it also has a cast iron stand.

The sander is a stand sander with a I think a 6 inch belt. The only part that is missing is the guard around the sanding belt. I have the pieces of the guard so hopefully I can get a replacement made if I can purchase it. It has a cast iron stand...This one I might be willing to sell since I have a sander.

Heres the gloat part...I paid $180 and promised a pen or bowl from the lathe. The guy I got it from bought it sight unseen and was told they were in working condition. He just wanted them gone so as not to remind him of his mistake.

Please excuse the lack of pictures... its raining this morning and it was dark last night.
    Last edited by Rob Bourgeois; 10-24-2004 at 9:13 AM. Reason: to tell I added pics

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Bourgeois
    I Please excuse the lack of pictures... its raining this morning and it was dark last night.
    Can't take that excuse, but I will accept your IOU . Great story and Gloat!!
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Rob,

Great News! Although you gotta get a pic! I'm glad everything worked out. Fixing old tools is enjoyable and rewarding, it sounds like you have some real gems in the rough.

Take Care - John

Great gloat Rob!.......Please excuse Tyler....he's not on his meds anymore.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

The older tools are generally of higher/better quality. You did well. Now, where are the pics before and after...
    Jerry

before

Heres the sander..the one I am most likely to sell or trade without refurbishing. I have a friend that might trade a truck load or 2 of old cypressor 6/4 oak.
    Attached Images Attached Images

another of the sander

jointer..6 in with 30 inch bed.

here is the lathe. I think I bought it for my wife. As she was taking the pictures she told me that she cant wait to use it

The tail stock is on the ground..I took it off for the ride home.

Last one of the lathe. The small patch that is some what cleaner than the rest was done with an old sock and WD40. The rust isnt that bad. The motors all seem fine and the are very quiet. The sander was in the way for the picture. Sorry but I only have 180 sq ft. of shop space and now too many tools... Don' t anyone tell my wife I said that.
    Last edited by Rob Bourgeois; 10-23-2004 at 5:06 PM.

Hello everyone, and thanks for posting your gloat Rob. I didn't know you posted the pictures when I started to read the first post -- so was surprised to see your find. Here's a link to my mid-fifties Walker-Turner 6" Jointer a friend gave me: http://home.comcast.net/~kc7cn/walkerturner/ Maybe this will inspire you to restore these old gems

-Don

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Stanley
    Hello everyone, and thanks for posting your gloat Rob. I didn't know you posted the pictures when I started to read the first post -- so was surprised to see your find. Here's a link to my mid-fifties Walker-Turner 6" Jointer a friend gave me: http://home.comcast.net/~kc7cn/walkerturner/ Maybe this will inspire you to restore these old gems

-Don
    Don,
    Great post and very nice job. Question for you. Is the tri pulley system original and is that much muscle needed Just nosie!
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

I love old iron!! I would kill to find an old jointer to refurb.

BTW, Rob ... what part of MS are you in? I grew up near Jackson.

North west corner...Cleveland/Greenville area.

Rob,

Those old Delta jointers work pretty good. Looks like the original motor too. The knives are a standard size so you won't have any trouble replacing them I had one just like it and it served me well for 20 years.