Thread: Standard Size McNaughton Coring Users

Standard Size McNaughton Coring Users

My friend has the standard McNaughton coring system but he and I have been unable to get it to work properly. He has the standard set of tools and uses them in the middle gap (of three). The gap seems to be too wide for the tool IMO and allows the tool to tilt from side to side as you cut causing it to catch often.

His specs are as follows (according to his measurements)
    Blade width at tip 0.25"...at full blade 0.27"
    middle gate gap at bottom 0.39"...at top 0.37" (the left and right gaps are either way too small or way too big)

I remember hearing about some spacing issues with this system but can't remember the details. Can you measure your standard system blades and standard toolrest gate gaps and post a reply so that I know if this is the issue or not?

FYI-he bought this system new so it has almost no wear except from the three or four attempts we've made to core with it.

Thanks in advance,
    Dick

Dick, I sent you an e-mail already, but that gap seems to be way off.

robo hippy

Reed,
    Thanks for your email! It definitely looks like gate replacement should fix the issue based on your data.

I'm almost ready to claim victory...I will once I have a little more data (to verify the gap) to provide to McNaughton (or one of the distributors like CSUSA, Woodcraft, etc).

Thanks,
    Dick

Hey Dick,
    My system has the wiggle room between the gates as well, it allows the knives to travel thru even when surrounded with shavings. I just compensate for it while coring. Try adjusting the tool post height, that is where my catch problem was hiding. Mine was set too low and not only was it catching, it was burning on the inside top edge of my blades. I made a wooden spacer ring like the one in Reed Grey's video on the coring system. The spacer guarantees the proper set-up each and every time.
    .........Tony.........

My system does not have the gap. I got better precision using metric, my blade was 5.9 mm thick and the middle gap is 6.2 mm or so. Pretty narrow clearance. Bought mine at Woodcraft about a year and a half ago.
    Maria
    A woodchick can chuck wood

Tony,
    Thanks for trying to help but I'd like to address this issue first. Once I see if it is an issue, then I'll fix it (as needed). Once fixed, I may need additional help after my follow-up coring attempt.