Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gunleather 1911

Gunleather 1911

Here is my new offering for the Colt 1911 model. These pics show off a little more of the abilities of the laser as not only is the holster shown being cut out but the text is lasered too, DUH? Also the grips were a prior laser project also. Enjoy! Feel free to comment as that is what makes me and my work better.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 02-01-2010 at 8:25 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Honey and Coco
    Steve / Sandy Wallace
    Lasting Laser Impressions

FaceBook - search Steven Wallace; Epilog mini 18 - 35w, rotary tool, Corel X3, PhotoGrav 3.0

Better Pics I hope

I messed up the compression on the earlier pics
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Steve / Sandy Wallace

FaceBook - search Steven Wallace; Epilog mini 18 - 35w, rotary tool, Corel X3, PhotoGrav 3.0

?

Very good work. Inspiring me to try my hand at this.

Only because I don't know much about this, I've noticed
    that the holsters you're making, has the pistol "sticking"
    out of the holster instead of seated deeper into the
    holster. Is this just a matter of preference or does it
    have a more practical reason?

Anthony
    "No man is a failure who has friends." -Clarence

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education. - Mark Twain

Anthony Welch
    Laurel,MS

Epilog Legend EX 45watt, Corel Draw 12 & x3, Photograv, Wacom tablet 4x5, ShopBot PRS96x48 w/spindle, airbrush and shop full of tools.

Lake Tapawingo, a suburb of Blue Springs, a suburb of Kansas City, MO. The Kansas City you know is in Missouri.
    Beutiful work. How about a couple of perspective photos shot from a low angle. I would like to see how you combined the pieces. Also a back side shot.
    Tom Bull
    Epilog Legend, x3,X5, photograv, 30 year collection of misc. tools of all kinds.

Steve

Very nice work--also on the grips. As soon as I can get my own 1911 I'll have to bug you for ideas. (That'll be awhile as those babies are a little pricey.)
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

comments

Thanks for the comments:

Anthony - the extending past the end of the holster serves no purpose other than these are first attempts and maybe my measurements are just a little off. My wife wanted one in black for her Taurus and I extended that measurement a little to cover the muzzle. Personally it doesn't bother me.

Tom - Thanks for the comment and I will supply different angle pics as suggested. This holster is actually 4 layers of 3-4oz leather. I start with two layers rubber cemented roughout side to roughout side. This gives me a piece of leather with 2 smooth sides. Then I cut the front and back and then stitch the 2 together. On this one I dyed all the pieces tan before dying the front Black and leaving the top piece neutral in color.

Mike - mine is not a Colt, it is a Rock Island Armory knock off. No tack driver, more of a trench gun. Plenty accurate for anything I use it for. Got it for around $500.
    Steve / Sandy Wallace

Nice work Steven. Good to see you carry it in Condition 1. I have a Colt Commander and would like to try a holster like yours. I have a couple that were purchased "just to have something" but I really don't like either one. I have never worked with leather before, so a couple of questions, if you don't mind. Did you hand stich the parts together? If so, what thread material did you use? Would you share you laser power rating and the settings you used to cut and engrave?
    Trotec Speedy 100 30W
    CorelDraw 2023
    EngraveLab 9
    Sublimation
    MillRight CNC Power Route Plus
    Duct Tape
    WD40

Pics as promised

Tom I hope this is what you were wanting.
    Steve / Sandy Wallace

Randy... yes Condition 1 as John Browning designed the firearm to be carried. Secondly, I do hand stitch all parts together using waxed thread from Tandy. It is the same place I get my leather. I have used both of their thread types and have no favorite as I get good results with both. I use the saddle stitch method. As for my settings, nothing special here, I use the factory leather settings for my Epilog mini 18. If it appears that I did not get enough penetration on the first run I will maintain registration and run it a second time. Depending on how the leather was tanned you can run into some pieces that may take a third run. I think a single pass was about 4 minutes for this holster. That included the rastering of the company logo. I use 0.04 for the stitch hole size but will probably go to a 0.05 in the future. Really hard when having to use the same hole multiple times.
    Steve / Sandy Wallace

Steve you have surpassed yourself on this one. The mix of the two colours is superb and the writing has burned in very nicely. Great job, now if we can just get one for crayons my day will be made!
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

Steven, what is the thickness of the leather you use. I know you gave the weight but all I've found so far has the actual thickness given. Perhaps you could point us to your supplier also?

You got the thought juices flowing the other day when you posted the first holster, now I think I'm hooked and have to try one.
    Thanks...great pics by the way.
    Trotec Speedy 100 30W
    CorelDraw 2023
    EngraveLab 9
    Sublimation
    MillRight CNC Power Route Plus
    Duct Tape
    WD40

Lake Tapawingo, a suburb of Blue Springs, a suburb of Kansas City, MO. The Kansas City you know is in Missouri.
    Yes, those photo's really help me understand what you did. Did you design the basic construction yourself? I am starting to get the itch to make one for myself, would you be willing to share a cdr of the parts? I can see one with a mountain scene on it (Ozark mountains, of course.)
    Tom Bull
    Epilog Legend, x3,X5, photograv, 30 year collection of misc. tools of all kinds.

I guess I could make you one and then you would stand around all day waiting for someone to yell "draw" pilgrim.
    Steve / Sandy Wallace

Which I think Frank could do quite well.
    Tom Bull

Shhhh be very quite and look at the post where I mention the thread I use, I also mention where I get the leather. Rhymes with my wife's name Sandy and starts with T. As for the thickness, it is about 1/16" for 3-4oz leather. 2 pieces are about an 1/8" and the total thickness is about 1/4" at the belt loop holes. I make it also to fit and 1 1/2" belt.
    Steve / Sandy Wallace