Thread: When did Powermatic go to Taiwan?

When did Powermatic go to Taiwan?

I've been trying to find a decent Powermatic 180 planer, mostly because so many people seem to prefer it over the new Taiwanese stuff. But, lo and behold, here is a pretty good looking 180, made in 1990, and except for the electricals, it's made in Taiwan ! So now I'm a little confused. When did this happen? What's the right year to look for ? Or should I just buy a newer 201?
    Attached Images Attached Images

I bought 5 new PM tools in 1990, PM66 saw, PM100 planer, PM26 shaper, PM60 jointer, and PM141 bandsaw. The Bandsaw and TS tags were made in the US. The others said assembled in the US of parts made in Taiwan.

Go for the 201 and don't look back! I have had one for some time now and love it! I upgraded it to the Byrd cutter head as mine was not the 201HH. The head makes the planer quieter and minimizes tear out.

The Powermatic industrial line is really very good (I own several other PM industrial machines as well). While a lot of manufactures these days utilize the same castings I would say the PM industrial is the Cadillac of the crop. I have also had excellent support from their service center.

If you find a deal on a used one and want to upgrade the head yourself, pm me and I would be happy to help out (I took pics of every step and know this machine very well).

BTW, if you plan on moving it around, contact HTC and have them custom build you a base like the one I have. Without one you will not move it without a crane. This machine is extremely heavy......

Last edited by Tyler Durden; 01-27-2010 at 11:56 PM.

For a short time the castings came from Taiwan I think it had something to do with the PM foundry being shutdown for a while.

What is the benefit of the style above over this style? It can't just be about size cause Powermatic used to make a 15" in the style above.

Wanna buy the Powermatic facility in McMinnville?

It's for sale.
    http://www.loopnet.com/property/1334...rrison-Street/

I don't know for sure but I think the facility in LaVergne (sp?) is just a warehouse, no manufacturing.

Edit: it says off the market.

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Butler View Post
    What is the benefit of the style above over this style? It can't just be about size cause Powermatic used to make a 15" in the style above.
    The biggest most apparent difference would be the table being supported on posts rather than massive cast iron columns....Plus the PM201 is also 71/2 HP. This is a plus considering the main motor drives the feed transmission as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Dupay View Post
    For a short time the castings came from Taiwan I think it had something to do with the PM foundry being shutdown for a while.
    Made in Taiwan does not really concern me. The table on this machine alone weights in at 300lbs. Not to mention, when I checked it for flatness with my Starret, the largest gap I could find was no more than .001"......
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 01-28-2010 at 10:09 AM.

Hello Steve. I have just a couple quick comments.

1) Don't knock the Taiwan equipment. They are producing good machinery, and several American resellers have QC people on site at the factories.

2) Yes, I too would rather buy equipment made in the good old USA and I try to when I can.

3) If you insist on a made in the USA planer, get a Wood Master. All their equipment is made at their one factory in Kansas City MO.

4) If someone wants to sell you something from China, run, do not walk, out the door.
    Last edited by Ken Garlock; 01-28-2010 at 1:05 PM.
    Best Regards, Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Garlock View Post
    Hello Steve. I have just a couple quick comments.

1) Don't knock the Taiwan equipment. They are producing good machinery, and several American resellers have QC people on site at the factories.

2) Yes, I too would rather buy equipment made in the good old USA and I try to when I can.

3) If you insist on a made in the USA planer, get a Wood Master. All their equipment is made at their one factory in Kansas City MO.

4) If someone wants to sell you something from China, run, do not walk, out the door.
    Great points Ken. Not to mention, I have noticed that many of the parts like bearings, castings ect....are stamped made in Japan on the PM which increases the quality of the parts as well.

However, IMO the Woodmaster does not compare to the 201. But if you want something made in the USA you really do not have many choices. It is a shame actually.....

Now if you were using it strictly as a molder than that would be another story. Again, my opinion......

One industrial supplier I deal with told me China is now where Taiwan was 10yrs ago when it comes to building machines. He didnt have a lot of bad things to say about the Taiwan machines and that was coming from a Martin Dealer.

Brad

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    ....Made in Taiwan does not really concern me......
    It doesn't concern me, either. There are many very fine machines being built in Taiwan now. I wish that there were more Made in America machines still being built. But, it is what it is.
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568

"Build for the joy of it!"