Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Picture frame makers, what do you use for clamping

Picture frame makers, what do you use for clamping

I have been ask to make a few picture frames, nothing really fancy just basic frames.

I made a clamping jig like you find on the net with the 4 arms and it pulls the parts together. I am not real happy with it, it works but not as good as I think it should. The corners still need to be lined up and that is kind of hard.

I have used band clamps and they work if the frame has a nice square edge to pull against but if not they are really hard to work with.

Is there a better clamp for gluing up pictures frames?

I have looked at the ones on Woodcraft and Rockler, the ones that use rods, and they look better but I am not sure.

I use blue masking tape across the corners. It works for me. But I don't glue up until I have a great fit.

I use the veritas one with the threaded rod. Works well.

Many pros use a corrugated fastener that pulls the joints together.

Quote Originally Posted by steven taggart View Post
    I use blue masking tape across the corners. It works for me. But I don't glue up until I have a great fit.
    I am getting a good fit, I made a 45° sled and it works really well. I have not tried the tape, I do use it on small boxes, I will have to give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    I found a set of those at a garage sale. They work great.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Do the 90° parts meet or do they have a hole in them. The problem I am having, is the one I made has a hole at the 90 and one side will go into it and then it is hard to get it pulled back out and lined up with the point.

After I get all the corners lined up then the clamp pulls things together, it is just getting the point to line up.

The corner pieces of the clamp do not have a hole in them or anything. Any kind of relief would allow the joint to move and would give you a parallelogram instead of a rectangle, right? I see why you'd want one to avoid crushing the point of the miters though, but I haven't had issues with that.
    I've probably made 25 picture frames with it over the years, and a fee more coming up soon.

I've done more than a hundred frames of all sizes using the Lee Valley rod sets, and I've never had an out of square frame. If you need longer lengths, the fittings take 1/4 x 20 threaded rod.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

I have a couple of the Merle Band Clamps from MLCS and I think they work great.Thery adjust evenly and you're not limited to fours corners. I use them on boxes as well.

...Chuck

Bill,
    I know you said you have used strap clamps, but had to ask if you have used this one.
    I had used the Bessey strap clamps for years but after trying out these by Wolfcraft, there is no comparison. One handed use and adjustments is very easy. Also clamps square every time for me.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Jim

I use an older MaxiClamp setup distributed by ShopSmith in the 1980's. The closest new item that I've seen that is similar is sold by Lee Valley. http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...=1,43293,31162

Richard

If you can accept a divot at each corner the size of a 6d finish nail, the Collins spring clamps work very well. Another approach involves temporarily gluing clamping ears at the corners with a paper/glue joint or using ears glued to a flange and clamped to the corners. Once the ears are secured to the frame parts, each joint can be clamped together with pressure at 90 degrees to the joint line. You don't have to line up all the points at once.

Bill,

First- I've read many of your posts as I lurk on Sawmill Creek and, as your responses have helped me on numerous instances, I appreciate the opportunity to try to assist you.

I glue and manually hold the corners together (TiteBond II) for a few minutes and then release; works perfectly. I use the Lee Valley-type threaded rods (I purchased Woodcraft's equivalent) for the last 2 corners; the advantage of gluing the fist 2 corners sequentially is not having to align all four simultaneously.

I had wanted to post a couple of pics of my frames, but, for some reason, the uploads fail. Here are a couple of links instead.

http: //lumberjocks.com/projects/89693
    http: //lumberjocks.com/projects/89028

Good luck,

Eric
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 06-10-2014 at 7:10 PM. Reason: deactivated link to other forum which violates the TOSs

Blog Entries
    Bill,
    This is what I use and I bought some extra 1/4-20 threaded rod to use with mine.

http://www.rockler.com/quick-release...ming-clamp-kit
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution