Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: toolbox

Tony,

The box is very loosely based on the plans found here:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home...16.html?page=1

I used the drawer sizes and six drawers as they were in the plan, I did my own frame and panel sides and back to suit the material I had on hand. No plywood inserts, maple drawer runners attached to the three stiles on each side.

Yes, you read the method correctly. I resawed the fronts, cut thru dovetails, and then glued the fronts back on.

Bob

Very nice! My tools wouldn't know what to think if I ever put them into something like that.

Really nice box. The wood is very nice. Really nice job on the dovetails. Are the bridle joints on the end panels "pinned" by the through mortise and tenons of the front and back rails?

Good eye James--yes the front rail tenons pass thru the bridle joints and I couldn't resist beveling them cuz I like the (totally non-functional) look.

Bob

Bob -

As others have stated, add me to the list! EXCELLENT WORK!!

My dovetails don't come out that purty when I usemy router and my P-C jig! !!! That ... Sir ... is a beautiful piece of work. My congrats to you!!

Nice toolbox!
    I really didn't get that plywood insert in original plan. Why to bother with frame and panel construction to allow wood movement and then to screw on plywood panel to it? It's like those plans that have rails and stiles glued on plywood.

Quote Originally Posted by bob hertle View Post
    Tony,

The box is very loosely based on the plans found here:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home...16.html?page=1

I used the drawer sizes and six drawers as they were in the plan, I did my own frame and panel sides and back to suit the material I had on hand. No plywood inserts, maple drawer runners attached to the three stiles on each side.

Now you're going to have to buy fancy tools. The regular bargain basement tools will not be right for this fancy of a tool box.

What a nice piece.

-Jeff
    Thank goodness for SMC and wood dough.

Outstanding job.