Thread: cutter for Stanley No 71 router plane

cutter for Stanley No 71 router plane

Anyone know where to get a cutter for a Stanley No 71 router plane? Are there any companies that make them? Thanks.

I believe the blades for the Lee Valley router plane will fit. You will want to contact Lee Valley first.

Blog Entries
    Yes, I saw a review by Dereck from Perth who said that his LV irons do fit his 71, but they are taller. As a result, the setting on the 71 is nearly as high as it can go in order to engauge the cutter - but they do work.

Blog Entries
    I have the LV blade on a Stanley 71 1/2.
    It works fine. I have a wooden sole attached to the plane though.
    I have both the 1/4" and the 1/2" cutters.

thanks very much, all

Homemade 71 blades

I have not tried it but recently was taught this at a woodworking class. Use hex keys and grind the short end down halfway on a sanding belt. The key sizes are numerous and can fit whatever you plan to do. Made sense to all of us in the class.

Try Stanley works, two years ago I got two of each of the three types from them, I don't know about now , but worth a try. I love to use the #71, but the blades must razzer sharp top and bottom. On one of the 45 degree blades I cut it into a circule, which works very smooth. The 71 that I got had never been used before. The ebay-er who sold it said his dad never sharpened it and could not get it to work. To keep the sole looking new (as it was in 1956), and to make it slid smooooooooothly I double side taped 1/8 bb plywood on the bottom. I love it and a number of my students have picked them up after using mine in one of my joint making classes.
    Last edited by GARY FOSTER; 01-26-2010 at 1:24 AM.

Blog Entries
    I just ran into my 71 1/2 in the shop. Do any if you have one.

Just curious ..........

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    I just ran into my 71 1/2 in the shop. Do any if you have one.

Just curious ..........
    I'm going to assume you meant to type, "Do any of you have one," in which case, my answer is, "two." Not "42" - I don't have that kind of shop space.

Blog Entries
    My router plane is a Sargent #62, a knock off of the Stanley. It uses the LV blades with just flipping the adjuster nut. Since then it has been given a thin wooden base and the nut no longer needs to be flipped.

Question, does reviving an old thread save pixels over starting a new one?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    An interesting sidelight, the 71 1/2 has two counter sunk holes in the sole. I thought the holes
    might be for a wooden base, so I put one on it. I then found out they were for a fence, so I took it
    off.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 06-21-2018 at 6:56 PM.