Thread: HNT Gordon planes

HNT Gordon planes

Does anyone have any comments on these Aussie made planes ?

They offer several differnt styles and choices of woods. With what seems to be a pretty fair price. Good, thick irons. The high 60 degree angle on the smoother is appealing.

I've fondled one but never used one.

They look and feel great, and I've heard others say they work fine, too--but that I can't comment on.

I have a smoother in ebony - works great. I use it for planing difficult woods and it handles those with ease. I like the way it slides so easily over the workpiece - almost frictionless.

It is very well made and beautifully finished. The iron is a monster (a full 1/4 inch thick).
    Chris

Thumbs up HNT planes

I have one of their 3/4" shoulder planes and it is very well made. I have yet to use it alot, but enjoyed the limited use I have had with it.
    SHERWUD in the beautiful sierra foothills East of Fresno, CA

Hi John,

I use one regularly. They work a treat on all wood, but especially figured wood, burl or really cranky grain.

I've yet to have a tearout problem with them.

I know the maker (Terry Gordon) from a couple of discussions and through a mutual acquaintance. He's very knowledgeable and competent in handplane use, I suppose Australia's version of Steve Knight.

They're a plane I couldn't recommend highly enough.

Cheers,

Andrew