Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Slop in Drill press quill, is this normal?

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    Is general still making good presses? I'm really starting to get desperate for something that works.
    I believe so, however if I remember correctly they start at about $1,800.

I guess that's a 1940 price in 2010.........Regards, Rod.

P.S. They don't have lasers or 500 speeds..........They look kind of 1940 ish except they have belt guards.
    Last edited by Rod Sheridan; 03-05-2010 at 9:46 AM. Reason: a

Strange Coincidence & NO ADJUSTMENT

It's a strange coincidence that I ran across this thread today. I just spent most of the afternoon yesterday tearing into my Delta 17-950L Drill Press because of excessive quill play. For those of you who may not have the option of returning the DP it looks like we are scr.... There is no adjustment for play. The quill fits into un-adjustable bored holes in the casting. No replaceable bushings or bearings, no split housing, just raw solid cast iron. A good machine shop could perhaps remill the holes for replaceable bushings but that would probably cost the price of a new DP. There is an adjustment however for the actual drill drive shaft. I tightened that up and it helped a little, very little, but it did help. I also regreased the quill heavily which also help some although I am sure that is very temporary. Luckily I am only working with wood and not building space shuttles or something else critical. As someone else noted it does vibrate and has always done so. I certainly wouldn't recommend one as precision machine.

Edit Note: I will be getting myself an end-mill this spring. I may try to do some mod to it to add a tightening function for the quill.
    Last edited by James Combs; 03-05-2010 at 10:19 AM.

"The best things in life are not things."

Most of these 200-500 drill presses are designed for Joe homeowner and woodworkers not for the Machinist and will suffer from runout

A high quality Jacobs chuck will improve your results

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Bova View Post
    Just bought a 17-950L as a close out at Lowes and after setting it up tonight, I find I have .013" of play front to back and .010 side to side with the shaft extended anywhere past 1". Will call Delta tomorrow and see if they can fix this. I have a Sears 15" that has the same amount of play almost. Thats the reason I went for a new one. If they can't fix this, I'll return it and try to repair the Craftsman. Good price but with the same problem doesn't jive...I'll let you know what happens.... Pete

Pete,

That is a good drill press in today's market. If you are looking for a new drill press I would keep that one. Most drill presses produced today wont have much less run out than that. that is if you measured your play with the quill at a stop, not free. My quill when free not resting at a stop have close to .060 play. That is over 5 times what you are talking about, and jet says that is acceptable. It pisses me off everytime I talk about it.

Grizzly does have some complex drilling machines (mills)
    that can be had for less then a grand
    G8689 is less than 5 bills

I was at Lowes the other day and looked at a Ridgid on display. The quill was as tight as anything I had used at work. I was impressed. The downturn was quill travel. Just over 3".
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Ryan View Post
    Pete,

That is a good drill press in today's market. If you are looking for a new drill press I would keep that one. Most drill presses produced today wont have much less run out than that. that is if you measured your play with the quill at a stop, not free. My quill when free not resting at a stop have close to .060 play. That is over 5 times what you are talking about, and jet says that is acceptable. It pisses me off everytime I talk about it.
    I checked my 1974 Delta, and with the quill at nearly full extension (4") (but about 1/4" off the stop), measuring 2" below the chuck jaws on a forstner bit shaft, I'm able to obtain about .004" side to side play and .002" front to back play. I guess after 35 years, it might need a little adjusting.

My 1930s Buffalo is even worse- I get nearly .001" play if I really wrench on it. Luckily it has a split casting and several sets of bearings, so it can be tightened up when necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by John Denture View Post
    I checked my 1974 Delta, and with the quill at nearly full extension (4") (but about 1/4" off the stop), measuring 2" below the chuck jaws on a forstner bit shaft, I'm able to obtain about .004" side to side play and .002" front to back play. I guess after 35 years, it might need a little adjusting.

My 1930s Buffalo is even worse- I get nearly .001" play if I really wrench on it. Luckily it has a split casting and several sets of bearings, so it can be tightened up when necessary.
    without locking my quill on my 1962 southbend I get .002"
    dad paid 167 dollars for it
    that would cost $1,183.99 using the Consumer Price Index
    http://www.measuringworth.com/uscompare/

Quote Originally Posted by phil harold View Post
    without locking my quill on my 1962 southbend I get .002"
    dad paid 167 dollars for it
    that would cost $1,183.99 using the Consumer Price Index
    http://www.measuringworth.com/uscompare/
    Thanks Phil, that's very interesting.

So it sounds like your father spent a significant amount of money on the drill press, compared to today when we don't typically spend that much.

regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Thanks Phil, that's very interesting.

So it sounds like your father spent a significant amount of money on the drill press, compared to today when we don't typically spend that much.

regards, Rod.
    Exactly the point, people are expecting high quality at low price

The average joe buys a Delta because the name used to mean quality tool.
    Now with all the DIY/Home Improvement stores and tv shows there is a large market for cheap tools and manufactures have answered the call by producing a consumer line of products. The home owner is expecting the quality of professional tools in the consumer line of products.

Delta and others are producing so much crap for the masses that in time they will have to rebrand thier name for the professional line of tools just as Black&Decker did 20 years ago so the pros will buy them again

just for fun I went to Delta's site and searched for the specifcations on the drill press
    There was none listed for runout...

the advert for my drill press does .001
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by phil harold; 03-05-2010 at 12:41 PM.

That is why I push the phosophy of buy and oldie but a goodie. The old ones are much better than the new.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Ryan View Post
    That is why I push the phosophy of buy and oldie but a goodie. The old ones are much better than the new.
    I agree, however there are only so many old ones.

What do you do when you want a new one?

I think that's the pressing issue, as the availability of new quality items falls.

Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    I agree, however there are only so many old ones.

What do you do when you want a new one?

I think that's the pressing issue, as the availability of new quality items falls.

Regards, Rod.
    Sadly, the consumer has spoken and the great majority of people are obviously willing to buy garbage that only lasts a few years, as long as they can get it "cheaply". How many of the Chinese tools sold in 2010 will be around, let alone usable, in a few years?

If you analyze what these "old but good" tools would cost in today's dollars, people cringe and scoff, and that's not even considering the additional business and production expenses of today, from regulations to raw material costs.

While I'm tempted to ignore the whole situation, and figure that people deserve the choice they've made, I do fear that at some point in the future, new tools are going to be the only available choice, and the few who care for quality over cheapness are going to have no options remaining.

\While I'm tempted to ignore the whole situation, and figure that people deserve the choice they've made, I do fear that at some point in the future, new tools are going to be the only available choice, and the few who care for quality over cheapness are going to have no options remaining.

The reality is there are plenty of new drill presses out there that are excellent, you don't think machine shops have NO quality choices do you? The bottom line is they are out of reach for the average woodworker just as they were 50 years ago. There are almost no items in this world you can't purchase made in a very high quality manner from a lightbulb to a submarine. The point is niches get filled just at a cost. For gosh sake you can buy a stereo tube (yes I said tube) amplifier and spend $100,000 and the tubes are built to standards much higher than even the Soviet Military ever had.

Look at this board for instance, most of us are looking for a lower cost "just as good" machine. Why do you think Grizzly is purported to be the largest machine importer. To echo what you said "WE" flocked to Grizzly and "forced" PM, Delta and General to reduce their level of quality to be able to sell product, then "WE" complain about it, funny since there are plenty of quality choices out there but time and time again people just buy good enough. Personally, I am wlling to pay 10-15K for my machines BUT not twice that, so I am in the good enough camp since I am one that prefers new since I want to work wood and not rehab old iron, which is a great hobby in itself just not one for me.

"We" have to either get off out checkbook or accept the quality that we are willing to pay for, BUT that doesn't mean not rewarding a company for delivering the best quality at a price point.

Called Delta today. They agreed that .013 is too much movement. They said it sounded like a bearing or fitment problem. I have to take the head to one of their authorized repair shops next week. I called and talked to one of their closer shops and the 'repairman' didn't understand what I was telling him. He had to call Delta and then call me back. Half an hour later he calls me and says that Delta told him there was an adjustment but it would not bring it much better than it already is. "Bring it down and we'll look at it" he says. I think I'll call the other shop and see what they say. I'll keep you informed as to what turns out. Pete