Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wooden Plane Blades

Wooden Plane Blades

Hello - I am a frequent lurker who needs some help. I want to make a 22 inch wooden jointer plane (Krenov Style) and need some suggestions on blade sizes and sources. I have made two smaller planes using Hock blades but the Krenov style blades only go up to two inches in width. My preference would be to use a 2.5 inch blade unless there is a logical reason not go wider than than two inches on a wooden plane. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks

I made a wooden jointer and used a 2" blade. I never felt it was too narrow. Seems that as long as the blade is wider than the wood you want to joint it would work okay.

Why do you wish to go to 2.5"?

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Parmeter View Post
    Hello - I am a frequent lurker who needs some help. I want to make a 22 inch wooden jointer plane (Krenov Style) and need some suggestions on blade sizes and sources. I have made two smaller planes using Hock blades but the Krenov style blades only go up to two inches in width. My preference would be to use a 2.5 inch blade unless there is a logical reason not go wider than than two inches on a wooden plane. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks
    These Lee Valley ones go up 2-3/8: http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...182,43698&ap=1

I have one of the A2 blades. It's nice, although it doesn't have a chip breaker like the Krenov-type blades.

Jim

I will use this mostly for flattening larger panels and boards that I cannot fit on the jointer so I thought that it would be good to use the largest iron that I could get. All of the stanley style jointer planes have 2 3/8 or 2 5/8 blades. I really like the Hock blades, so if I cannot get a similar quality larger blade I will use the 2 inch iron. I was curious to what other people were using.

Thanks Jim - I did not think to check Lee Valley. How is the chatter without without the chip breaker?

+1 for the Lee Valley blades. They are nice blades. You can skip the chip breaker, and pitch the blade at 55 degrees. The higher pitch may not even be necessary.

While it's not a Hock blade, occasionally you'll find antique blades with chip breakers on eBay which are over 2" wide. They're plain carbon steel but sharpen up well (usually). Those blades were used in wooden planes and became separated from the body somewhere along the line.

Another alternative is to use a thick modern blade without a chip breaker. For what you want to do, I think a thick blade without a chip breaker would work okay.

Good luck on your plane. Post a picture when you get the plane built, which ever way you decide to go.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I posted before I saw your question. The higher pitch helps to prevent tear out. As for chatter, the Lee Valley blades are thick, and because of that are less prone to chatter than a thin blade.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I will give the Lee Valley blades a try. I hope to make the plane sometime in the next month or so but I have a cradle that I need to get done first. Thanks again.

In making a Krenov style plane. Anything over 2" just gets cumbersome to hold. I have built Krenov planes wider than 2" and they become very uncomfortable.

Hi Casey - You raised a good point in that this would make the plane width over three inches - and I don't have large hands. I might need to put modify the design slightly to accomodate a handle. I will have to play with this after I get the blank. Thanks

12. Wide blades sound great until you try to push them. Most people use a very mild camber on their jointer blades and the result, with a wide blade, is a whole lot of resistance. Something to consider.

Cheers --- Larry

All good coments up there, so I wont repeat what was said. If you realy like Hock blades, call him, he can make custom stuff some times! I think it's worth to talk to the guy anyway!

I'd also like to mention that David Finck have blades for Krenov style planes in A2. Just check his website.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Parmeter View Post
    Thanks Jim - I did not think to check Lee Valley. How is the chatter without without the chip breaker?
    Mine doesn't chatter. However, I'm using it in a smooth plane (see my avatar), so I've never taken a thick shaving with it. I don't anticipate chatter would be an issue, but I haven't seen for myself. By the way, I have the 1-7/8" version.

Jim