Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wooden Plane Blades

I built my 30" jointer with a 2" Hock. This is used for edges not faces. One of the planes I use for faces is the Veritas LA Jack. This is 2 1/4" wide - not a whole lot of difference.

I don't see a big need for a wider blade... I mean, really, when is "wider" wide enough? Especially when the cutting angle is high and, as Larry notes, then harder to push.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    I built my 30" jointer with a 2" Hock. This is used for edges not faces. One of the planes I use for faces is the Veritas LA Jack. This is 2 1/4" wide - not a whole lot of difference.

I don't see a big need for a wider blade... I mean, really, when is "wider" wide enough? Especially when the cutting angle is high and, as Larry notes, then harder to push.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Fair comment Derek.
    But I find in the longer planes 5 and a half F/I, the wider blade/body is less inclined to topple on wide boards. Narrow boards it don't make much difference nohow!

J
    “We need 18th-century woodworking tools and techniques about as much as we need 18th-century dentistry.” Dr. Andrew Friede
    Woodworker

Quote Originally Posted by John A Walker View Post
    Fair comment Derek.
    But I find in the longer planes 5 and a half F/I, the wider blade/body is less inclined to topple on wide boards. Narrow boards it don't make much difference nohow!

J
    Topple? ........!!

Regards from Perth

Derek

Toppling

Tip over. Sometimes I find the No 5 topples over, the plane body that is. Doesn't happen so easily with a Number 4 due to the short length. The wide blades have more of a base to rest on.

Planing edges it makes no difference of course. The planes topple anyhow when I get to work!
    Hmm.. Looking at some of the work here though, I think I am slightly out of my depth .. In short I am up sawmill creek without a paddle, and don't even have the skill to make one!

John
    Last edited by John A Walker; 01-24-2010 at 6:38 AM.
    “We need 18th-century woodworking tools and techniques about as much as we need 18th-century dentistry.” Dr. Andrew Friede
    Woodworker

I am thinking of a Hock as a replacement blade for a No. 4 I have.
    Am I alone in thinking that the Hock Blade, with its square profile, makes a plane look a bit clunky? And I wonder does Ron make blades with a shaped top?

Or am I being over-fussy?

JW
    Woodworker

Topple??? I have no idea how plane topples. Do you mean chatter or...plane skipping on the stock?

If you are interested in getting a Hock blade, I highly recommend reading through his website. He answers that very question regarding shape, and he wouldn't mind if you grind or do whatever with it, but he doesn't make pre-shaped blades. Aside from that, there are loads of useful and interesting information on that site, it's a good reading to do nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by John A Walker View Post
    I am thinking of a Hock as a replacement blade for a No. 4 I have.
    Am I alone in thinking that the Hock Blade, with its square profile, makes a plane look a bit clunky? And I wonder does Ron make blades with a shaped top?

Or am I being over-fussy?

JW
    Yes, they look a bit clunky. They're good blades, though.

Derek,

Can you post a picture of that plane you made. I'd love to see it and perhaps others would too.

Jim