Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 23 of 23

Thread: Wooden Plane Blades

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Posts
    8,070
    I built my 30" jointer with a 2" Hock. This is used for edges not faces. One of the planes I use for faces is the Veritas LA Jack. This is 2 1/4" wide - not a whole lot of difference.

    I don't see a big need for a wider blade... I mean, really, when is "wider" wide enough? Especially when the cutting angle is high and, as Larry notes, then harder to push.

    Regards from Perth

    Derek

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Birmingham, England
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    I built my 30" jointer with a 2" Hock. This is used for edges not faces. One of the planes I use for faces is the Veritas LA Jack. This is 2 1/4" wide - not a whole lot of difference.

    I don't see a big need for a wider blade... I mean, really, when is "wider" wide enough? Especially when the cutting angle is high and, as Larry notes, then harder to push.

    Regards from Perth

    Derek
    Fair comment Derek.
    But I find in the longer planes 5 and a half F/I, the wider blade/body is less inclined to topple on wide boards. Narrow boards it don't make much difference nohow!

    J
    “We need 18th-century woodworking tools and techniques about as much as we need 18th-century dentistry.” Dr. Andrew Friede
    Woodworker

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Posts
    8,070
    Quote Originally Posted by John A Walker View Post
    Fair comment Derek.
    But I find in the longer planes 5 and a half F/I, the wider blade/body is less inclined to topple on wide boards. Narrow boards it don't make much difference nohow!

    J
    Topple? ........!!

    Regards from Perth

    Derek

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Birmingham, England
    Posts
    27

    Toppling

    Tip over. Sometimes I find the No 5 topples over, the plane body that is. Doesn't happen so easily with a Number 4 due to the short length. The wide blades have more of a base to rest on.

    Planing edges it makes no difference of course. The planes topple anyhow when I get to work!
    Hmm.. Looking at some of the work here though, I think I am slightly out of my depth .. In short I am up sawmill creek without a paddle, and don't even have the skill to make one!

    John
    Last edited by John A Walker; 01-24-2010 at 6:38 AM.
    “We need 18th-century woodworking tools and techniques about as much as we need 18th-century dentistry.” Dr. Andrew Friede
    Woodworker

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Birmingham, England
    Posts
    27
    I am thinking of a Hock as a replacement blade for a No. 4 I have.
    Am I alone in thinking that the Hock Blade, with its square profile, makes a plane look a bit clunky? And I wonder does Ron make blades with a shaped top?

    Or am I being over-fussy?


    JW
    “We need 18th-century woodworking tools and techniques about as much as we need 18th-century dentistry.” Dr. Andrew Friede
    Woodworker

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Yokohama, Japan/St. Petersburg, Russia
    Posts
    726
    Topple??? I have no idea how plane topples. Do you mean chatter or...plane skipping on the stock?

    If you are interested in getting a Hock blade, I highly recommend reading through his website. He answers that very question regarding shape, and he wouldn't mind if you grind or do whatever with it, but he doesn't make pre-shaped blades. Aside from that, there are loads of useful and interesting information on that site, it's a good reading to do nonetheless.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Springfield, MA
    Posts
    313
    Quote Originally Posted by John A Walker View Post
    I am thinking of a Hock as a replacement blade for a No. 4 I have.
    Am I alone in thinking that the Hock Blade, with its square profile, makes a plane look a bit clunky? And I wonder does Ron make blades with a shaped top?

    Or am I being over-fussy?


    JW
    Yes, they look a bit clunky. They're good blades, though.

  8. #23
    Derek,

    Can you post a picture of that plane you made. I'd love to see it and perhaps others would too.

    Jim

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •