Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Microdot Laminate now at Home Depot

Microdot Laminate now at Home Depot

If you've looked at any of the Woodpecker or Pinnacle router tables or drill press tables, you've probably noticed the microdot laminate which supposedly reduces friction by trapping sawdust. Today while at Home Depot, I noticed they are now carrying it in black 4x8 sheets. So if you are looking for a cool surface for tables and the like...

Just curious did you notice the price?

Oh, I was going to put that in there. About $40-$45 per sheet.

any chance you know the 6 digit sku? all my local HDs can't find anything without the item's sku.

Store SKU # 240828

I found it on their website.
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    If you've looked at any of the Woodpecker or Pinnacle router tables or drill press tables, you've probably noticed the microdot laminate which supposedly reduces friction by trapping sawdust. Today while at Home Depot, I noticed they are now carrying it in black 4x8 sheets. So if you are looking for a cool surface for tables and the like...
    heh... why would you want to reduce friction on a drill press table?!

I always wondered the same when I saw Woodpecker's sales pitch for this material for the DP table. Either I am missing something or they did not realize DP and RT surfaces ideally should be different in terms low/high friction.

Quote Originally Posted by Salem Ganzhorn View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Salem Ganzhorn View Post

One use would be if you sand on the DP. But agreed DP tables don't need to be slick.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Effinger View Post
    Store SKU # 240828

I found it on their website.
    Hmm, I'm not finding it on the HD site using the SKU or "Microdot".

-kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin S. View Post
    Hmm, I'm not finding it on the HD site using the SKU or "Microdot".

-kevin
    Same here...until I changed "my store" to one near Ida, MI. Then it found it fine. I never realized the web site was regionally oriented.

I believe the product that you are referring to is made by Formica.
    http://www.formica.com/publish/site/.../microdot.html

I purchased a 4x8 sheet and used a portion of it for my router table top. I can attest that it does reduce the friction which is nice.

I purchased mine as a special order from the local Rona store. It cost $120 Canadian.

"heh... why would you want to reduce friction on a drill press table?!"

To make it easier to position the part.

In many cases drill press tables need to be slick, or would be prefered slick. For example, installing decking boards and pre-drilling all the pilot holes. As long as a fence is set up it doesn't cause issues when actually drilling. I just installed an Ipe deck this summer and waxed the hell out of the press table and supports so I could slide to each consecutive hole much easier. There would be many similar cases that one would want a slick DP table.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Hanby View Post
    Same here...until I changed "my store" to one near Ida, MI. Then it found it fine. I never realized the web site was regionally oriented.
    Actually, it doesn't even show up if you select the 2nd closest store to Ida which happened to be my default. I changed to the closest one, and the one where I saw it and the search found it it at both. You might try a few stores in your area if you are interested.

I think the reason it doesn't show up at all stores is that some of the stores, most of them here, don't carry laminate. I have to drive to an Arlington store about 20 miles away to find a HD with laminate in stock. While most of the Lowes carry 4 to 6 different patter/colors. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.