Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bench Cookies

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Bench Cookies

I'm looking for opinions on the bench cookies. Mainly for their use with a router, as shown in the Rockler advertisement. I don't have my router table built yet, so I need a way to stabilize a workpiece on the bench so I can take the router to the edge. Are these things really worth it, or should I just clamp and route like I've been doing?

Bench cookies rock! They work exactly as advertised. Very useful when you need the piece clear of the bench to leave room for the bit.

AND, they are very low-calorie!

I think they are ok for the investment, I've used mine for quite some time now and they are starting to break down a bit, they also dont work well when there is alot of dust on them. They really knock down vibration when sanding. Quite a handy device overall.

The foam material worried me that day I saw them in Rockler. I was worried the foam was too flimsy. I can see how they would break down. I don't know if I would use them for more than routing though so maybe I could prevent the breakdown just a little bit by using them only for that. The other thing that worried me is when I put one down and put some lateral pressure on it, it seemed to give quite a bit. Again because the foam was so thick. That was just my uninformed opinion though after a quick look in the store. Thus I come to you guys.

I think you can make a bunch of them in different sizes with just some wood/rubber pads.

For the price and if you can get free shipping they aren't worth making for that. They are really nice for all sort of things but routing is # 1. I use mine all of the time even though I have a nice router table.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Baker View Post
    Bench cookies rock! They work exactly as advertised. Very useful when you need the piece clear of the bench to leave room for the bit.
    +1 for the cookies

yes!!!

Lovin the bench cookies! Got mine free with a promotion a few months back because I spent like $400+ on merchandise. I've used them for routing, sanding, elevation for clamping, and even staining and painting. They're pretty rugged even though they have foam. The first time you put a lot of weight on them and then take the weight off, you will see an indention in the foam and get worried. Don't worry, they will come back to normal.
    I'm a Joe of all trades. It's a first, it'll catch on.

I've used them for sanding medium size panels and they have worked well. Have not tried routing yet.

Little different approach

If you're into turny things, it's kind of kick to make you own bench cookies. Flat surfaces on each side get a piece of shelf liner (the rubbery stuff) and, voila!

Or maybe I'm just too cheap, but mine work great.

Doug

The foam is textured neoprene, which is pretty tough stuff. . They work well.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

I just use the under-rug anti skid pad material and route off the edge of the bench- it has much more surface area than a cookie.

When I first saw the bench cookies announced, I thought they were a silly idea. But then I tried them ... and like them. I did a little review of them recently: http://www.thewoodnerd.com/reviews/benchCookies.html

I got a set when they were on sale...work great.!
    Dave W. -
    Restoring an 1890 Victorian
    Cuba, NY