Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: raised panel bit?

raised panel bit?

Which to get, vertical or horizontal raised panel bit? I have a 3+ router in a router table. I have alway gotten around using a panel bit, but need one now.
    Thanks Brian

2. If your router table fence is tall enough, and you can think of a method of holding a panel flat to the fence while running that panel across the bit, then consider a vertical bit.

For me, it has always been easier to think of methods to hold the panel flat to the table, and use a horz bit. I use a couple of feather boards attached to the fence to keep the edge of the panel down on the table, and either my hands or a clamping miter guage to hold the rest of it down.

Are you able to reduce the speed of your router? If not, then your only safe choice is the vertical bit.

I have both and find that it's easier to keep the panel steady with the horizontal panel raisers, and you've certainly got ample power to spin it. Lex brought up a good point about slowing the bit down.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I use a pair of Grippers to hold the panel flat on the table. They are great for the safety oriented folks. Since you can spin a flat bit, I'd use it, it's easier IMO.

No flames please. Use safety devices if you like, if you don't like them, don't use them.

Yes I have used the router with a 45 locking miter bit at reduced speed.

I use a horz. bit at slower speed in my 3+ hP router. works well for me making raised panels like this:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jim Finn; 01-21-2010 at 11:07 PM.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

Blog Entries
    Another vote for the horizontal bit at a reduced speed.

And maybe don't try to hog off the entire cut in one pass per edge.

I'm getting ready to buy a router table but the safety issues raised above make me wonder if a shaper is a safer tool for raised panels?
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Blog Entries
    You can also make raised panels on a TS. I have instructions at my website.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

so the advice to reduce the speed for a horizontal bit is because the bit path is so much bigger in diameter? Doesn't it bite the same amount of wood as a vertical bit would? Why not a slow speed for a vertical bit too?

I was just about to do this with a hand-held PC691 router. I bought a horizontal bit... perhaps the wrong choice? I am also finding that I might have purchased a bit that was too large... I have a 3/4 inch thickness glue-up that I want to route. And I just looked at my 3.5 inch bit and it is about that thick... hmmm.

You HAVE to use a router table with a horizontal bit. If you don't it will probably end up is some form of injury to you... Please be careful. The router table need not be complex. Many people get away with a piece of wood clamped to the table. I just routed a hole for my router plate in my table saw extension wing, and made a sacrificial fence for the stock fence. Works great, not a lot of cost. As I mentioned before, a pair of grippers adds a lot of safety factor. I got a router kick back, doing a raised panel, and probably saved myself a trip to the hospital. CHEAP investment IMO.

Yes, the reason you need to slow the bit down, is the tip speed of a 3" bit is really smoking along, as compared to a 3/4" bit's tip speed.

I can knock something together to do this as a table, then... it seems to be that the vertical bit cannot be used with a handheld either because there is not enough surfact against which to rest the handheld router. I suppose I could clamp the panel it to the edge of the workbench and route one edge at a time. Perhaps I should just return the horizontal and get a vertical... I have a smaller router.

Spent one afternoon building this horizontal table.

http://www.finewoodworking.com/Skill...F.aspx?id=2699

Well worth the time.

Greg