Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's wrong with this picture?

What's wrong with this picture?

For some time now Sawstop has been running a full page ad in magazines. It shows a pretty lady holding a pic of a sawstop, and the headline reads "Wife Approved". The first time I saw it I handed the magazine to my wife and asked her "what's wrong with this picture?" It took her all of five seconds to hand it back and say..."no wedding ring on the wife".

Well, it seems others may have noticed and contacted sawstop, because the latest issue of WOOD magazine has the same ad, with a wedding ring photoshopped onto her finger.

Oops.

Rick Potter

Yeah, there was another thread about this a little while back. I, too thought that was a HUGE overversite. But then again, I can see that maybe the ACTUAL caption "wife approved" hadn't come up yet. Maybe they took the photo to a meeting and said ,"OK, brainstorm!".
    I drink, therefore I am.

Maybe she really was a smart wife, and had removed her jewellery for a workshop photo involving machinery.

Regards, Rod.

P.S. How many of us don't wear a wedding ring because of safety issues at work, and therefore don't normally wear one when we're not at work?

Mine always stays on.
    I drink, therefore I am.

I haven't worn mine in 40 years of working around high powered electronics.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Maybe she really was a smart wife, and had removed her jewellery for a workshop photo involving machinery.

Regards, Rod.

P.S. How many of us don't wear a wedding ring because of safety issues at work, and therefore don't normally wear one when we're not at work?
    You beat me to it Rod!

I'm not married, but if I was married I wouldn't wear a ring to work. Too much risk of losing a finger. If I hire a married person to work in the shop I ask them not to wear any rings. I did have one guy who absolutely refused to remove his wedding band, which was okay with me if he wanted to accept the risk. BTW, we work with large, heavy pieces of natural stone and quartz surfacing. It's very easy for the edge of the stone to catch on a ring when the stone is sliding out of your hands. Also, rough stone edges can really do some damage to rings.

Having said all of that, I probably wouldn't have noticed if the wife in the ad was wearing a ring or not.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

I don't wear mine, and my wife does not wear her's - due to dangers while working. It is easier to just not wear them - than to remember to take them off and put them back on (and not loose them).

No rings, necklaces, ties, loose sleeve cuffs, (including coats), flip flops, or hair longer that the collar.
    Blood stains are too hard to remove from maple and a dropped piece of MDF can sever a toe!
    Gene
    Gene
    Life is too short for cheap tools
    GH

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cruz View Post
    Mine always stays on.
    You're fortunate to work in a job that allows jewellery, we're not allowed to wear it at work if we have a job that involves machinery or electricity.

Regards, Rod

In fact, I had one of the few jobs in the Navy, that we were TOLD TO NOT WEAR OUR DOG TAGS.

Too easy to get electrocuted.

As a teen while roughnecking on oil rigs I saw the results of my Dad nearly getting his ring finger pulled off when his wedding band got snagged by a rotary table drive chain. He was lucky!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Belinda Williamson View Post
    You beat me to it Rod!

I'm not married, but if I was married I wouldn't wear a ring to work. Too much risk of losing a finger. If I hire a married person to work in the shop I ask them not to wear any rings. I did have one guy who absolutely refused to remove his wedding band, which was okay with me if he wanted to accept the risk. BTW, we work with large, heavy pieces of natural stone and quartz surfacing. It's very easy for the edge of the stone to catch on a ring when the stone is sliding out of your hands. Also, rough stone edges can really do some damage to rings.

Having said all of that, I probably wouldn't have noticed if the wife in the ad was wearing a ring or not.
    Belinda: Not sure what your position is on this, but it is yours or your company's liability if he hurts himself on the job. Regardless of whether he knowingly agreed to it or not. Workers Comp claims are expensive. We allow people to wear wedding bands because they aren't dangerous in our shop, but dangling things-necklaces, hanging earrings, loose sleeves, etc are not allowed. If someone is unwilling to take them off then unfortunately they cannot work for us. The judge really won't care that we warned him or her.
    makers of fine reproduction brass & iron hardware

I dont wear mine, if I were to catch my hand on a saw blade I wouldnt want that ring to tug me in closer.

Quote Originally Posted by gene howe View Post
    no rings, necklaces, ties, loose sleeve cuffs, (including coats), flip flops, or hair longer that the collar.
    Blood stains are too hard to remove from maple and a dropped piece of mdf can sever a toe!
    Gene
    +1,000....!!!!!!!! :d
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I completely understand the safety issue. But where is it written that married people must wear a ring? It's just a tradition which we can choose to follow or choose to ignore.

Long ago the ring was there to inform suitors that a person was spoken for through engagement or marriage. That's a pretty archaic situation these days. I think we've been conditioned by jewelers to view a ring as a necessity. It's not.

Last year my fingers got too fat for my wedding ring. I haven't worn it since. It's not like single women are now flocking to me. (Darn!) I might eventually buy another ring. But I've got more practical purchases currently in my "to buy" queue.

I know a guy who is a mechanic who had a serious accident working on a car with a ring. He was working on something electrical under the hood of a pickup and his ring hit something still live. He was seriously injured by the heat involved from the direct short caused by his ring.

I am not married, but I hate jewelry and would never wear any. I don't have a dangerous job, but jewelry would be a serious issue for my hobbies like woodworking.