Thread: What kind of wood is this?

What kind of wood is this?

i heat my house and shop with wood. a few logs were left in front of the house so i cut and split them. anyone tell me what this is?

mulberry

based on the bark, an assumption that the sapwood is a bit more yellowish than the picture shows, and the fact that i have a wheelbarrow load of that in the woodshed, i'd vote mulberry.

always wondered how that dark heartwood would finish up...

actually its that white and the whole thing is amazingly straight grained. it splits if you look at cross eyed. it also burns great even green. i'm saving some to do something with.

would you be willing to sell or trade a few blanks of that wood I handcarve wood fishing lures and love to get a hold a few blanks from that.,,,,,,,al

alvin....no problem. PM me. i have a friend who is a custom rod maker and im giving him some for custom butts. he made me a great light weight sailfish rod with an ebony butt.

Pretty sure it is Walnut

I really think it is black walnut, the bark is right and the sapwood is correct. I just have never seen one with that much sapwood. Definitley not mulberry as mulberry is electric yellow all the way through with little sapwood. Put that picture on the turners forum and you will make the guys crazy with wood lust!

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

walnut seems to be the answer...smells like walnut.

From the little bit of Walnut I have cut up it sure looks like one of the types. I dont know enough to tell what type yet. The bark with the yellow strip and real white sap wood then dark brown is what I have been seeing. Also, some of it does have a hint of butt smell when fresh.

Karl

Don't know about the wood partl, but the bark looks the same as the English Walnut on my property.

since the sapwood is white and not yellowish ... and since i've already been wrong once...

am inclined to +1 the English walnut. we had one come down last spring in the wind and the core had that little line of pith in it. definitely not black walnut based on the branch bark.

thanks....i think we have it narrowed down to"walnut".

would like to turn a call out of that wood ..very nice