Thread: Super FMT

Super FMT

So maybe I'm missing something, but I can't seem to bend my head around how to mount a short workpiece on the left or right of the table. Mounting two clamps on one side, with a piece less than 2 inches thick seems impossible without an outrigger table. Anyone have any experience with this?
    Paul

2. I don't have the instruction booklet presently at hand , but if I recall it does mention something about setting up a homemade jig to enable you to fit small pieces on the FMT.

I finally got the two clamps installed on one side, but it was a pain. I'm sure it will get easier with practice. the piece still moves, so I need to make an outrigger of some kind I guess.
    Paul

I have had the same trouble with pieces moving. To reduce this I have made some 1/4" thick blocks that I clamp in place on the side of the work piece to keep the part from moving. The clamps usually keep the work piece against the face of the FMT, but they do not keep it from pivoting without the extra 1/4" stops I use.

Quote Originally Posted by paul cottingham View Post
    So maybe I'm missing something, but I can't seem to bend my head around how to mount a short workpiece on the left or right of the table. Mounting two clamps on one side, with a piece less than 2 inches thick seems impossible without an outrigger table. Anyone have any experience with this?
    Paul,

I wonder if you mean "less than 2 inches wide"? The reason I wonder is that the clamps will allow up clamping stock up to 3 inches thick. You are right, it does take a little practice, and some maneuvering. I plan on getting some additional clamps, to minimize the need for moving the clamps once they are in place.

Al
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/buttons/fotc.gif
    Sandal Woods - Fine Woodworking

Super FMT - securing the workpiece

I can secured a workpiece for cutting a mortise if the piece is long enough to cross over and be secured by clamps on both sides, but it does seem hard to secure a short workpiece when it's just clamped to the left or right. The manual has a drawing of a jig that looks like it would help and I'm going to try that, but thanks for the comment about additional clamps, Al.

I finally got the clamps in place, and I am reticent to move them. I may need to order extras.
    Paul