Thread: Need some ideas for an assembly table

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Need some ideas for an assembly table

Since I'm moving my garage shop to my very roomy basement, I have the opportunity to build lots of workbenches and the centerpiece....The assembly table of my dreams!

I'm hoping to come up with a design for something that'll be a good 8'x8' (more or less), and will also incorporate my table saw, serving as a nice large outfeed table. No need for fold-away sections or portability. This thing will stay put. It'll have a number of electrical receptacles on it too.

I'd also like to come up with some means of storing pipe clamps in it horizontally and would like to have lots of storage for short boards and cutoffs and such.

I don't want to completely break the bank with it, but I'm thinking several 4x4 legs, 2x4 and 2x6 frame lapped into the legs, MDF top sheeted with tempered hardboard for a slick durable work surface.

I'd absolutely love to see pictures of you guys' work tables and home-made work benches, whether they incorporate your table saws or not.

I meant to post this in the workshops subforum. Whoops! Hopefully the mods will put it where it should be!

Aaron, look at NYW worktable/clampcart episode&plans. Might be what you need.
    Michael Gibbons

I think I like opening day of deer season more than any udder day of the year. It's like Christmas wit guns. - Remnar Soady

That bear is going to eat him alive. Go help him! That bear doesn't need any help! - The Three Stooges

This is what I use. It was originally one table, based on Norm's NYW design. After a year I cut the table in half and made 2 tables out of it. Each is now 3'X4'. They are absolutely perfect for my shop individually or I can still screw them together with cleats if I need a bigger table.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Wood'N'Scout

Aaron, I use a plywood table. By that, I mean a table made OF plywood FOR plywood. So it is 4 X 8, on wheels. It is about 21" tall (allowing for plywood storage, but still an open flat surface for assembly). Also, being (fairly) low to the ground, large assemblies don't have to be lifted way up to a 33" height (my 4 x 4 work bench). I also have a 2 x 12 dedicated work bench. So, the plywood table is for assembly only, not a work bench. Sorry, no pix as of yet...maybe at some point. Like when I finally finish my shop and do a tour, maybe this spring...
    I drink, therefore I am.

Ideally, an assembly surface should have the ability to be at different heights to best support the nature of the current project, unless you do the same thing over and over. I happen to use my Noden Adjust-A-Bench for both hand-tool work and assembly work as it has a large table.

One nice alternative that is simple for assembly is to build a torsion box surface and four rectangular boxes to serve as supports. Depending on the orientation of the support boxes, you can have several different height available...and the whole setup can be easily stored away when you have a floor standing project to deal with.
    -----

BTW, this is the right place for this kind of thread. Workshops is more about the physical shop, electrical and dust collection.

Jim
    SMC Moderator
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I made my table about 3 years ago and i use it constantly. I did a torsion box style. and put 4 swivel double locking casters and its adjustable height.

I need to update the pictures. I changed the casters out. I can use it as an outfeed table but I have an outfeed table built onto the saw now

If, as Jim suggests, you decide to build an adjustable height assembly table, there are plans how to build a great one in the Dec/Jan 2010 issue of American Woodworker. There are actually two articles in that issue- one shows how to build the legs and the other how to build the torsion box top. There is also a short video of it in action on the AWW site.

I too have been thinking a lot about building the perfect assembly table / outfeed table combo. Lots of good ideas here, but i'm also thinking about adding some Kreg T-slots (Klamp Trak) and clamps to give me the abilty to use it as a work table as well.

Jon, how does the height adjustment work?

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Todd View Post
    I made my table about 3 years ago and i use it constantly. I did a torsion box style. and put 4 swivel double locking casters and its adjustable height.

I need to update the pictures. I changed the casters out. I can use it as an outfeed table but I have an outfeed table built onto the saw now

Quote Originally Posted by Jason White View Post
    Jon, how does the height adjustment work?

Jason
    I will get some better pictures. it slides up and down and then i put pins in to hold it