Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to stop speeders?

How to stop speeders?

Here's the scenario: rural setting, small village near metro area. 35 MPH speed limit, but they go by all day and most of the night at speeds, at times well above 60, even 70. (I'm pretty good at estimating) There have been several serious accidents (thankfully no fatalities) in the past several years as it is a straight stretch of road, houses on both sides, and then a downhill stretch that cannot be seen until one is close to where the downhill begins. At 35 MPH it's not dangerous but at 50 its starts to get a little scary. The police won't agressively patrol. City councils are deaf. Any ideas -- legal ones -- to make 'em ease up on the gas pedal? For example, I know one town that put an old Hiway Patrol cruiser on an approach near the city limits with a manequin. That seems to slow the traffic but we don't have one of those old cruisers around. (Not saying where this is for my own reasons, and one can only guess because it's not my beloved home state listed on my bio.)
    Watch your fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by wells conklin View Post
    I know one town that put an old Hiway Patrol cruiser on an approach near the city limits with a manequin.
    I spotted a police car parked on the side of the road about 3 mi. away driving through Oklahoma once--dead straight road, you could see for miles, but I dutifully crawled along at the posted speed limit. It wasn't until I got next to him that I saw he was only 3/4" thick.

Maybe a painted plywood picture of a police car? Probably wouldn't stop regulars who have seen it more than once, but might work on the newbies.

If you find a vehicle that the front looks like a police vehicle (old Crown vic, with properly aligned headlights, etc), you could park it backwards, at the end of a driveway (won't help once they learn).

Hotwheels has a radar gun, seen people using it to slow down speeders (both sets off radar detectors, and person looks (not dressed) like a cop).
    Had some problems with some kids going through my area, years ago. I had a full length hedge, hid behind it, and rolled out a big pink, children's ball into the street. They slammed on their brakes, expecting a kid to follow. (and it slowed them down)

Old refrigerator?
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

Sit outside with a hairdryer?

Is the road used by regulars, or is it mainly used by visitors? If it's regulars, nothing like a fake police car is going to work.

But if it's used by regulars, you'd think they'd be aware of the dangers of the road and adjust their driving to the road. If regulars, my guess is that they believe they can drive the road safely at those speeds. Also,is it only young drivers speeding or is it everyone? If experienced drivers are speeding, it would indicate they believe the speed is safe for the road.

About the only way to slow people down in those situations is to have the road be bad, with lots of holes, for example.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 01-14-2010 at 9:57 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

1 1/2" pipe across the road.

It might work

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Atkins View Post
    You could stand there naked
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Camaster Cobra 408 working table size 48 x 98
    Wincnc,AspireII,PhotoVcarve,Cut3D
    HX6090SE 60Wworking table 23”X36”
    LaserCut 5.3
    Coreldraw X3, photograV 3.0, Photozoom3

Sawmill Creek is financed in part through member contributions.
    Many members just like you have found extraordinary value in becoming a financial supporter of SMC.

Maybe this...?

Rod

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Atkins View Post
    Not such a bad Idea.. There are some folks that still think those rubber hose traffic counters they stretch across the road are speed indicators. Lay a black rubber hose across the road and see what happens!
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

get one of those radar signs that display speed and attach a camera flash on it that goes off above 30. see what happens (g)
    Steve knight
    cnc routing

Quote Originally Posted by Steve knight View Post
    get one of those radar signs that display speed and attach a camera flash on it that goes off above 30. see what happens (g)

Heck, that has the makings for a quarter mile track test. That or a see how high the numbers can go test.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    Heck, that has the makings for a quarter mile track test. That or a see how high the numbers can go test.
    except you missed the flash part of it. they will think it is a camera speed trap
    Steve knight
    cnc routing

Assuming that most of the offenders are male, how about roadside cutouts of scantily clad women?

"Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

that would just cause wrecks. reminds me of a teen bimbo in New Zealand decided it would be cool to flash her chest to drivers going by. one guy got so distracted he ran into her.
    Steve knight
    cnc routing