Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bench In Progress...

Bench In Progress...

Since I haven't found those photos for the second part of my Smoother adventure...yet... I thought I'd post some pics in progress of the most important hand tool a woodworker needs...in some form or other.

I'm sure most of you started with workmates, or makeshift contraptions that you could nail boards and jigs to...without too much pain or worry about finesse. I still have a bench for this purpose, outfitted with the old standby Record woodworker's vice. I'd be lost without it.

But there comes a time when you get tired of chasing those boards around, or worse yet, adapting your planing rythm to the movement of the bench's sway! Have you ever cought yourselves doing that?!? Pretty scary and possibly injurious.

Last year, I finally decided that I had somewhat "outgrown" my beloved hacker bench and wanted something more appropriate for my "handtool" approach to woodworking. I still think power tools have a place, especially for taking care of the grunt work, but when it comes to traditional joinery there is really no substitute for hand tools. Besides, what happens when the power goes out? and it will...eventually.

I'm posting pics (mostly because Tyler scares me) but also to serve as a record of my progress as of mid-October. I'm bound and determined to finish this year, even with our new family addition. Now that I've posted this message, the pressure is on.

Hope these pics inspire some of you to go ahead and start your own benches...if you haven't already. Cutting those big dovetails by hand (for the dog leg vise and tail vise assembly) is something else...especially for a relative newbie.

...perhaps I should consider cleaning my workspace first...sheesh...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (52.9 KB, 792 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (60.7 KB, 782 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (48.8 KB, 795 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (61.1 KB, 789 views)
    Louis Bois
    "and so it goes..." Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Louis Bois
    <snip>
    But there comes a time when you get tired of chasing those boards around, or worse yet, adapting your planing rythm to the movement of the bench's sway! <snip>

OMG - you've been watching me work

Hope these pics inspire some of you to go ahead and start your own benches...if you haven't already. Cutting those big dovetails by hand (for the dog leg vise and tail vise assembly) is something else...especially for a relative newbie. <snip>
    Looks very, very nice . . . I'm green with envy

As a matter of fact, a workbench is very high on my list of priorities - I figure to start accumulating the hardware this winter, then start building in the spring. Do you have detailed plans you're working from?

What you show in your pics are what I've got in mind - the traditional shoulder vise and tail vise with the big ol' dovetails. I've got several sites bookmarked that have given me some ideas, but I haven't yet found plans that were "exactly right."

Erin
    For all your days prepare and treat them ever alike. When you are the anvil, bear; When you are the hammer, strike.

Hi Erin,

The bench is heavily based on Frank's bench in the Workbench Book. I made a few changes to the overall dimensions and changed a few minor details. I did the whole thing on CAD and actually rendered the entire project in 3D before putting saw to wood. If you're interested, I'll clean up the plans a bit and send you something in a format you can read...either acrobat, word, etc. I'll even send you the CAD drawings if you have a program to view it. That way, you'll be able to taylor the plans to suit your own needs. They were created in Autocad, if that helps, but could be saved as a DXF file and imported into other CAD programs.

I'll also be incorporating a "board jack" into the design as well...and possibly some sort of cabinet underneath...but then tools are easier to access from a wall cabinet, so who knows what I'll finally end up with?

Cheers,
    Louis Bois

Thumbs up

Tweeeeet, 20 yard penalty for passing off commercially made bench as your own work.

But seriously, that is one of the best looking benchs I have seen, if not the best. Excellent workmanship. Just plane beautiful
    Best Regards, Ken

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Don't be afraid Louis , The picture police are your friends. Protect and serve is our mato.
    A very nice bench and one get out of jail free pass for top quality craftsmanship.
    Pix police can be bought! A copy of your plans for all would be a great bribe.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Great Work and Beautiful Wood Selection

You were saying that you were goin' on fumes there the other night (then again coulda been an uncorked bottle of Scotch) - no wonder.

Good plan though... if the wee'un's tryin ta keep ya up - might as well make your own noise.

Grate Ladd. Jes Grrrate!

D

Wow, Louis, that's a beautiful bench you're building. I'm truly envious...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks for the kind comments all.

For those that are expressing interest for bench plans, I'm currently working on a web page...yeah right...and just when is that happening? Sorry, just the split personality getting in his 2 cents worth.

I'll hopefully be up and running around Hollow'een. I should have lots of stuff up eventually, such as tool plans (clamps and such), bench plans (including a nice little carver's chops), as well as a few things I've picked up along the way, such as a chair/ladder plan that I created from measurements of a swiss-made 18th century chair (this is a chair that converts to a ladder by folding it over - there are many versions around - but this one is particulary graceful and elegant in its simplicity). I'll also hopefully get some documented building procedures for some of the stuff I've made/am making.

...but first, I MUST FINISH my bench!!!

...on a side note, yes Doug, the spirits do fortify.

...and I'm still scared Tyler...so the pics will keep coming
    Louis Bois

Outstanding progress so far. I suppose the vices are coming up. What news, the only thing left is the hard part.

Good looking bench. Before I built mine, I spent a good deal of time with the Landis book, which is excellent. Has anyone seen the new Taunton book? Is it different? Good? Etc.
    Alan

You've got that right Matt...save the best for last! I've got the shoulder vise completed...not shown in the pic...and the tail vise is sitting on the bench. All the other bits for mounting the tail vise are cut to size and ready for fitting. Not far now...I can almost taste it...kinda like a beech/curly maple cocktail.

The other outstanding items are the tool tray bottom...haven't glued that in yet as I'm thinking of having a removable section to allow access to both sides of the top slab for veneer pressing, etc...and of course, the sliding board jack needs to be installed. I've been experimenting with different design ideas for the latter...I need to stop myself from going overboard sometimes...simpler is indeed better!!!
    Last edited by Louis Bois; 10-22-2004 at 3:19 PM.
    Louis Bois

Louis,

Your bench looks great!! What is the approx dimensions? It looks more on the 60" length scale....?

Keep up the good work!

Quote Originally Posted by Louis Bois
    The other outstanding items are the tool tray bottom...haven't glued that in yet as I'm thinking of having a removable section to allow access to both sides of the top slab for veneer pressing
    I thought about making a plywood board with a giant tab that would fit in my tool tray snugly, like a giant mortise and tenon. It's purpose would be to give me a huge working surface. However, since I built the assembly table I don't really need a convertable bench. Maybe the removable work surface with a giant "tenon" idea would work for you?

Louis,

Very timely post. I too would like to build a bench like Frank Klaus's. I took a class from him on handcut dovetails last year and think he really knows what he's doing. He also lives only about 20 minutes from me.

I've been thinking about building his bench for about a year. Scott Landis's book (which I gather you used) has some detail on dimensions, etc. but not enough to make me comfortable trying to build it. In the last issue of Woodworkers Journal, Frank did a construction article on his bench which helped a little more.

If you have plans available, I'd love to have a set. I'd even be willing to pay. Please PM me if you get a chance.

I've thought about asking Frank to build one for me, but the guy scares the crap out of me. I'm afraid he'll go "Hungarian" on me.

Thanks,

Jack

Roy, the dimensions of the bench are: 2'-3 3/4" x 6'-4 (workable area)
    The overall clearance dimensions with both vises closed (not taking into accout the screws and handles) are: 3'-3 3/4" x 6'-9 1/4"

Matt, I'd considered this option...I'd just hate to have another mobile piece that I'd have to find storage for...that's why I'm considering some sort of sliding panel solution.

Jack, I did use Landis' book as one of my references among others, but the biggest inspiration came from seeing a few old ones up close! As for plans, I'll PM you with some info.
    Louis Bois