Thread: Bookcase is done

Bookcase is done

The youngest son, a Major in the Army, called a couple weeks before Christmas and asked if it was too late to request a Christmas present. He wanted a bookcase for their townhouse in the DC area. No problem with the build, however, we traded our Astro van for a Nisson Rogue a couple years ago, so taking the bookcase from Indiana to Washington, DC would be a problem. I decided to make the pieces, then assemble it on site. I could haul everything but the backing board, which I bought, cut, stained and finished at his house.

So we just delivered it, and here are a couple before and after pictures. The bookcase is poplar except for the veneered back. The whole piece is stained, then some pieces are painted with a flat latex paint, then a dark colored Briwax is applied over the paint to give it a patina.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

Bob, looked at this thread after seeing the one on the chairs. Very nice work on the bookcase, and it does show very well with the Windsor in the pic!! I like the two tone finish on the bookcase, and it is well done, too.

Beautiful colors and form. I really like the chairs, too.

I think the painted/natural wood finish is an acquired taste. Not for all, and surely blasphemous to some.

Bob, just read the reply about the finish being blasphemous to some. I was ready to blast the person who wrote it and then realized it was you! I really like the contrast and may do something like it in my next project.

Bob, great bookcase and chair. Very nice work indeed. As an aside, ever have any trouble with that 12" sawblade hanging down from the ceiling in the first pic?

Blog Entries
    Bob,

Great looking bookcase...... and some people call poplar a secondary wood.

Looks GREAT.....
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Nice work again Bob... you did a nice job working the poplar on the finish as it it not the easiest species to balance out when finishing.
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

Looks good Bob

Really nice balanced work on the bookcase.Your chairs were a very good example of period furniture,the colors are great! Keep up the good work.Did you use a plan for the bookcase?

Ed

Larry, I had to go back look for the 12 inch saw blade. That's my Swedish grandfather's bow saw. I'm basically a neander, as what you are looking at in that picture is basically all of my "shop". Not much room in there. In fact I do a lot of work outside. I do have a small planer and table saw that I have to carry outside to the picnic table if I want to use them.

Ed, I didn't have any plans to go by, however, I cut pictures out of magazines when I see something I like. I've got a large stack that I go through when I need inspiration, that a little from this, stealing a little from that. I've got a leather bound book that I make sketches in, and I sketched the bookcase out before starting on it. It sometimes amazes me how similar the idea is to the final product.
    Last edited by Bob Glenn; 01-14-2010 at 8:11 AM.

looks good. nice idea with the pediment

lou

Quote Originally Posted by lou sansone View Post
    looks good. nice idea with the pediment

lou
    Thanks for the comment Lou. I had to go look up pediment. Now I know what to call it. I just thought it was a take off on Bob Evans Down on the Farm.