Thread: Calling all plumbers

Calling all plumbers

I was wondering if I can run a pvc 3/4" water line through/under concrete? The building currently has 3/4 copper coming up through the middle of the floor. I'd like to cut up the concrete, transition the copper to plastic, slap an elbow on it, run it over to and then up the wall. Will I be violating any codes? I'm no plumber and don't really want to pay for one because I know I can easily do all the labor, I just need to know if it's legal. oh and I'm in GA

Pex (cross-linked polyethylene) is recommended for that, in fact is used for under-floor radiant heat. I know in CA when I lived there copper couldn't be used under concrete unless sleeved. In fact all metal pipes have to be sleeved or wrapped or can corrode from interaction with the concrete.

Check local codes but normally schedule 40 is OK, but if you use thinner irrigation (sprinkler) pipe it can break from the pour or shifting over time.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

PEX sounds like fun, and I'd like being able to flex it up into the crawl space, but I don't have any pex tooling and I'm not sure the cost to "gear up" would be worth it. How much does a crimper cost any way? and do they make copper to pex adapters?

And yes I would be using schedule 40

Yes, there are adapters for pex to all other kinds of pipe. I have seen the crimpers from $29 - $125, naturally a lerss expensive model is what you want for one small job.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

Is this the main line coming into the house?

When I had to extend the copper service line in order to move my inside water meter I was required to use the heavy flex copper (I think it is K) attached to the old service line with a compression fitting. I was informed that a sweat fitting is not correct when buried under a structure. I was also required to protect the new line from the surrounding concrete as it entered the building. I was not allowed to use plastic until after the meter and main shutoff valve.

On my house with a well -- the line coming in from the pump house is black plastic -- this uses slip fittings and clamps but you are restricted once it comes into the house. It transitions immediately to copper and the main shutoff valve.

I would not use regular white PVC for the water line unless It was downstream of the shut off valve - it can shatter when it is hit.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Pelonio View Post
    Pex (cross-linked polyethylene) is recommended for that, in fact is used for under-floor radiant heat.
    Joe, do they spec which pex for that? Plain or Pex-al-pex?

I'd use the Pex-al-pex, but again one must check local codes.

Sammamish, WA

Local codes dictate what is "legal". Pex is fine, but if it were me and it was my primary service to the house I would use "k" copper underground and under concrete slabs and sleeve it with armaflex insultation. Concrete can attack the copper otherwise plus the sleeve sllows for expansion and contraction of the slab. Also, sweat joints (solder) are generally not permitted underground. Flare fittings are typically required by code for underground services. But again, local code is the law you need to know.

Thanks for all the help guys

I ended up going with PEX and using the press together shark bite connectors. quick fast and clean.

And the building is one that I'm renting from a guy who calls it a rat hole. So quality isn't a major concern, but it is zoned commercial. I'm not sure how many codes I might have violated but it's all sealed up under concrete now. I let it all sit over night to check for leaks then covered it this am.

Thanks again
    Husband to 1, father to 9
    2 girls and 7 boys (in that order)
    Life Is Full Of Blessings
    The Lord is my Rock and my Refuge.