Thread: Need Advice on Light Switch

Need Advice on Light Switch

I'd like to put a motion activated light switch in my work shop. I went to the Borg to get one and got a little confused reading the info on them. My shop has 2 four foot light fixtures with 2 tubes in each and on 8 foot with 2 tubes. Will a motion switch work to turn on all the fixtures at once? Are these switches any good in a work shop?

The main reason I want to put one in is I have three entrances to my shop. One does not have a switch by it and it would be easier to install a motion switch than putting a switch by that door.

Wink

Problem with these switches is that you gotta keep moving or you will find yourself in the dark!

Thought code required a switch for a light source by every entrance...

IMO if you're already running a wire from the motion activated switch you might as well just run the wires to put an actual switch. Now the problem might come up with since you have 3 entrances to your shop to put a switch at each door I believe you need a 4 way, a 3 way and a standard switch, depending on how they're currently wired this could be a PITA to get wired up.

Blog Entries
    I have seen a tip where one of the motion detectors that screws into a regular socket between the bulb and socket was used. The idea was just to have the motion provide enough light to get to the "real" switch. I think this would be a better method than trying to control your whole lighting plant with a motion detecting device. The detector also had a light detector built in so once the regular lights were on, it neutralizes.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    I have a motion activated switch in my office at work. As soon as I enter the door the lights come on. They will then stay on for 15 minutes unless they sense additional motion to reset the time. Most of the time I can work in my office behind my desk all day and the lights stay on. Once in a while the lights will turn off. Usually just the motion of looking up at the sensor or putting down the book I was reading will trigger the lights. The on time is adjustable on most of these switches. The units we have in our office building are a low voltage system and control two three tube fixtures in my office. The sensor is highly sensitive and detects motion using IR and ultrasound.

We also use a motion sensor in the hallways in our house that has multiple door ways. They automatically turn on the light whenever someone enters the hall and stays on for a predetermined time. The dog or cat will occasionally trigger it, people always do. I think the light will stay on for up to 30 minutes. They are both Leviton switches, one is a three way the other is not. The one in the front entry is very handy when you come in at night with your hands full and the light comes on.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

How about a wireless switch added to your circuit.

http://www.amazon.com/Heath-Zenith-B...5206646&sr=8-7

Just put the wireless switch box surface mounted to the wall by the door in question.

DOES NOT WORK WITH FLUORESCENT THOUGH! Are your Fluorescent lights the only ones in your shop?
    Last edited by David Prince; 02-03-2010 at 9:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by David Prince View Post
    How about a wireless switch added to your circuit.

http://www.amazon.com/Heath-Zenith-B...5206646&sr=8-7

Just put the wireless switch box surface mounted to the wall by the door in question.

DOES NOT WORK WITH FLUORESCENT THOUGH! Are your Fluorescent lights the only ones in your shop?

From what I read it may not work with fluorescent lights.

Quote Originally Posted by George Bregar View Post
    Thought code required a switch for a light source by every entrance...
    If that's the case, every garage I have ever seen doesn't meet code.

There is no switch in my garage / shop for the lights... It is inside the house.
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

I use a motion sensor switch in my shop (in my garage) with fluorescent lights. I have it set to a fairly long dwell time (meaning it stays on about 10 minutes after I leave the shop). The only problem I've ever had with the switch is when I leave a large work in progress (like a cabinet) between switch and where I'm working. The first time the lights went out because of that, I was confused and couldn't figure why they went out. Now, I just grumble and go move the WIP.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.