Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HF DC BooBoo

HF DC BooBoo

So I was using my Harbor Freight 3HP (ha) dust collector to do a little floor cleaning last night. I had picked up most of the major stuff, but must have missed a few smallish blocks of wood. Normally this isnt a problem - theres a satisfying loud bang as its shot through the impeller and thats it. Well after one such noise, I notice that I can hear a lot more rushing air...oh great, did the block of wood puncture the lower bag?
    Nope - worse...
    I turn around to find dust now spewing out of the hose that connects the impellor to the bag ring thingy... The 1''x1'' block of wood had blasted right through the hose.
    I guess the hose must have been kinda brittle from being cold. Its about 0° outside right now, which means the far side of my shop where the DC lives only gets to about 40°.
    Im thinking of bringing the hose to HF and asking for a replacement. Normally this would seem like a good excuse to do the stovepipe mod, but eventually I plan on changing up the configuration such that I wont need this hose.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Proud to Hate Michigan Athletics Since 1981

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Hanko View Post
    ...Im thinking of bringing the hose to HF and asking for a replacement. ....
    Why would you do that? You abused the tool. Why should HF be responsible for repairing it?

Blog Entries
    I see a cutout piece of coffee can lid and some duct tape in your future. Why should HF pay for your mistake and raise their prices to compensate?
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

You can order a replacement from HF.
    I had a small piece go through mine. I fixed it with a vinyl window cement.
    Stelmax is the brand.
    Last edited by Myk Rian; 01-10-2010 at 11:56 AM.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

The Little Tennessee River near Knoxville.
    This is a Dust Collector not a vacuum system. You used this tool for something it was not intended to be used for and now you are asking the Harbor Freight customers to pay for it through your negligence.
    Nice call.
    Retired, living and cruising full-time on my boat.
    Currently on the Little Tennessee River near Knoxville

That hose connector could easily be replaced for a few bucks. Not a big deal..Use the same metal connectors (O Rings)...
    Jerry

Gorilla Glue Duct Tap will fix this in two seconds. That tape is awesome.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Well you could repair the hole with some plastic patch and glue, but that would take some skill. So I'd just duct tape over it.

signed Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Pyles View Post
    Well you could repair the hole with some plastic patch and glue, but that would take some skill. So I'd just duct tape over it.

signed Red Green

Duct Tape is a cheap, quick, and easy solution to your problem...

Is that show still on??

Anyway, I am with the crowd in saying it was your mistake, don't expect HF to pick up the tab.

I don't believe the OP was looking for HF to send him a FREE replacement. I assume that he would BUY the part. But, you know what they say about assumptions.

John
    ...And now, back to your regularly scheduled shop time...

11. Quote Originally Posted by Norman Pyles View Post

signed Red Green
    Why stop there? Pull the motor off and bracket up an old lawn mower to it, for that extra bit of power....

Any repair is gonna get plugged up with sawdust and slow down the air. Replace the hose. If HF will give it to you for free that's great otherwise it's cheap to buy it.

I can't believe people are so righteous and concerned for HF's business model.
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 01-10-2010 at 5:55 PM. Reason: Removed inappropriate language

Go to the BT3k forums and look for the "stove pipe mod", it will replace the section of tubing that you broke and increase the performance of your DC at the same time...

Whoa, calm down guys...
    I didnt think theyd actually give it to me for free, I just wasnt quite sure if they'd have an extra one laying around for sale, so Id prolly have to buy the one off the display model or something. Glad to see everyone is concerned with helping HF keep their prices down tho...
    I patched it with duct tape to get me through the weekend - worked better than I though it would, actually.
    Proud to Hate Michigan Athletics Since 1981

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

+1 for the stove pipe

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Martin View Post
    Go to the BT3k forums and look for the "stove pipe mod", it will replace the section of tubing that you broke and increase the performance of your DC at the same time...

This sounds like the best option so far. The OP's situation lines him up for a perfect opportunity to do the stove pipe mod