Thread: Question about pin nailers

Question about pin nailers

I am considering getting a pin nailer. I would use it for molding as most people do. But I would also like to use it for attaching face frames to cabinets to eliminate having to use clamps while the glue dries. Is this a good use for a pin nailer? The gun I am considering (Nikle) shoots a 1 9/16" pin.

Dick

That is probably a reasonable use. You didn't say what gauge, and I'm not familiar with that brand, but as long as it holds the face frame tight the glue will do it's job. My favorite brand is Hitachi for nailers, have an old framing nailer that has nailed several houses together without ever breaking down. Think it must be the quality of their O rings, as my bostitch nailers O rings need replacing regularly, but not the Hitachi.

A pin nailer is great for attaching mouldings, but I don't use it to attach face frames. I use pocket screws. At finished ends of cabinets, use an applied molding or panel. No clamps, and no holes to putty.
    PI
    Attached Images Attached Images

I think pin nailers are great, I own one. That being said, I personally would not use it to secure a face frame to a carcass. I may be alone in this vision, but I prefer clamps and the thought of even pressure across the frame for strength.
    I use Norm’s method and run a grove in the carcass, place corresponding biscuits in the face frame, glue and clamp. Comes out square every time and no holes to fill. (and yes, I know, pins leave very little to fill. In this scenario I just wouldn’t trust the holding power while the glue sets)

M2C

Smile Grex pin nailer

Pin nailer's work great to fasten materials when you do not want to see a nail or brad hole. I have a Grex gun 26 GA shoots from as small as they get to 2". Grex guns are a little expensive if you get the model I have since it shoots such a wide range of pins but I believe their worth the cost. Save a lot of time in the finishing department if you take care of you own finishing especially if you are staining.

I bought a Grex for the purposes you describe. Nikle makes a great one, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I also have a Grex but only the 1 3/8" version. Be aware the longer the pin and the harder the wood the more likely they are to bend inside the wood. 23ga is a mighty small piece of metal, for the above reasons plus the clamping force is rather poor I would not recommend it for face frames that is really a clamp or pocket hole senario.

Anybody ever use one of these? I use the P/C but was thinking about a back up, good bargin or not?

http://www.eagleamerica.com/product/...rand_-_freeman

Pin nailer to me means 23 gauge. Brad nailer is 15,16 or 18.
    So if 23 it wont hold a face frame flat after you nail it, it doesnt have any holding power ( headed nail) Anything thats bent it usually wont hold it real tight.