Thread: $$ to burn; new bandsaw on the horizon

$$ to burn; new bandsaw on the horizon

Well, maybe not $$$ to burn, but $$$ burning a hole in my pocket.

I'm fed up with my old Craftsman 12" antique. Too many parts worn out or jury-rigged to mess with any more. So, it is Jet or Delta or Grizzly 14" w/ riser block time.

I have poked, prodded and kicked the Jet and Delta for 3 months, and have compared them to the new Grizzly. Honestly, I see very little difference in them, other than the size of the Grizzly motor. For my purposes, a "kick around, amateur woodworker," I just don't see that as a great negative. Am I wrong here? The Grizzly just seems like a very good machine, and is anywhere from $250 to $500 less for what appear to be essentially the same machines.

Grizzly owners, please weigh in here. Nay-sayers, please offer your opinions too. I want to buy "smart," which may, or may not, translate to "expensive."
    "God does not deduct from a man's lifespan the time spent fishing."

Joe I did a tool test for a ww magazine and I also own a Jetcs14 ,I found that the with the Griz you could stop the motor if you saw too fast,Were as a Jet or Delta would not even slow down,if you are going to resaw I would not go with a Griz.

Just my thoughts
    Tom in Minnesota

Get something bigger and better

I don't think you will be disappointed in the long run if you spend some of the extra $$ on a higher class machine.

Get a Laguna or Euroshop or Agazzani.

The first time you resaw some 10 inch oak, you'll know why you made the right choice !!

Mark
    MARK

Depends ...

I've got the Jet 14CS and I've been able to stall the motor. Does that mean the machine is junk... No. It just means I was asking a lot from it (cutting green maple for bowl blanks - very thick.)

So, a lot depends on what you'll be doing with it. If your just using it for shaping cuts (then you won't need the riser block.) If you're resawing 10" hard maple - then expect to go really slow with lots of cleanup afterward.

The 14cs from Jet is a good machine - is it the best, no. Would I love to trade up - YES. Do I have the $$$ to trade up - No, so I'll make due with the Jet. When I feel I can't make due, I'll sell it (probably get less than .50 on the dollar.) So I'll have paid 250 for probably 3 - 10 years of use depending on when my desire outpaces my frugality.

So, like buying anything you have to trade off the $$$ you've got today, with your needs (wants), and the expectations you'll have moving forward. I would buy the best machine I could reasonably afford for the jobs I would reasonably forsee asking of it.

just my $.02
    -Randy

Re: Get something bigger and better

Originally posted by Mark Valsi

Get a Laguna or Euroshop or Agazzani.

Mark
    Don't forget about Minimax!

They make a great machine, Also Italian made.

Look for a bargain

Joe -

Any chance of picking up a used machine in your area. We have the local Trading Post. That seems to be the place to find the occasional bargain. I have a 14" Jet closed stand w/ riser block. I am happy with it. Was able to pick it up several years ago from Lowe's for $199 when they were closing them out.

If you have looked at the Grizz, Jet and Delta side by side and can't see any differences that matter to you, go with the Grizz.

If I had to buy a BS today and wasn't able to luck into a real bargain like last time, I would look at a larger saw. They are more expensive, but not that much more expensive for what you get.

Good luck,
    Ted

Thumbs up Thanks, all. Information is appreciated.

"God does not deduct from a man's lifespan the time spent fishing."

Agazzani

I have a 20" Agazzani and love it. In their line there's a design break between the 18" and 20" machines; the 20-inchers are beefier, sort of the "bottom-of-the-top-of-the-line" as opposed to the 18-incher's "top-of-the-bottom-of-the-line." But all of them are fine tools.

If you want to explore, see the Eagle Tools webpage at www.eagle-tools.com. They're good folks to talk to--knowledgeable, no high-pressure tactics. (That's what turned me away from Laguna--the used-car-salesman pushiness of the sales guys. To be fair, I hear good things about their machines and service.)

No connection except satisfied customer, blah blah blah...

PS: For any of the better saws, be prepared for sticker shock. And the bigger the saw, the pricier the blades are and the fewer places you can get them at discount prices.