Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Please share pics of your tablesaw outfeed tables.

Please share pics of your tablesaw outfeed tables.

I need to build a permanent (non folding) tablesaw outfeed table for my Unisaw, and would like to utilize the space below for storage, either drawers or shelves. I'm thinking about 5 feet wide, and 30" deep. The 30" depth is about as much as I would want to encroach upon my workbench. The extra width would allow me to use it for assembly as well.

I thought about a folding option, but it seems it would always be in the way if I needed to get at whatever was stored underneath, and I REALLY need convenient storage space. I might consider a folding section directly in front of the saw table (minus wings), which could be utilized if the need would arise, and would only compromise a portion of the storage space.

I don't have much experience with designing this sort of thing, so pictures showing support/storage details would be most helpful. Thanks.

Dan
    Last edited by Dan Forman; 01-09-2010 at 6:43 AM.
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Have you looked at Marc "thewoodwhisperer"'s version it is simple easy and cheap (if you don't use walniut plywood). I haven't got around to it but plan on basing mine on it with more than just a simple shelf for storage.

3. When possible, re-purpose.

Hit up your local thrift, goodwill, restore or salvation store.

I never understood the need for such wide outfeed tables. At least for me, it's rare to cut such wide pieces at the TS. I have a table that is 30" wide, and 6' long butted up to my TS. If you think about it, you only need to support a little over half the width of a piece being cut - so with a 30" wide table, you can support a 60" piece being cut.

My space is tight, so mine doubles as the workbench. Between the bench top and table saw there is a piece of plywood with dadoes cut in it to allow the miter gauge to be pushed all the way beyond the blade.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Zach England View Post
    My space is tight, so mine doubles as the workbench. Between the bench top and table saw there is a piece of plywood with dadoes cut in it to allow the miter gauge to be pushed all the way beyond the blade.

I think that is the reason most are larger than "needed". Mine is 4x8 (top is a sheet of MDF) I actually have it set so it is 8 feet wide, super overkill but takes up less usable floor space. Then when I use it as a workbench I have a 4x8 sheet of hardboard that is held in place with 4 pins to keep the table clean.

Van---I had seen that, but would like better storage capacity. I have some cheap 8/4 soft maple lumber for legs and support, so was thinking of using that rather than all ply. Not yet sure if I want doors, drawers, or open shelving.

Scott---Dude, that's cheatin! A great solution though, maybe I should make a run to the thrift shops. I've been uderwhelmed by what I've seen in the local Habitat store, but maybe the thrift shops will have better quality and prices. Sure would save a lot of work.

Dan--- As I said, assembly and storage.

Gary---That's a beautiful shop, love the paint colors.

Here is the area I have to work with. I might only go 4 feet wide, which let me keep the trash can where it is now, which is a pretty handy location for the rest of the shop too. I have 66" from saw to the workbench, which would give me 3 feet of space between them with the new table, which I think is workable.

As soon as I finish the outfeed, I want to make a new extension table with storage under it as well, to replace the Delta one which had a pretty good hump in it.

Please keep the suggestions and pictures coming.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

The 12/14 and the Unisaw share the same table. Under the side table is a rack holding small sheet stock cutoffs. Under the outfeed table is a rolling bin holding longer usable wood off rips and cutoffs too short or small to go on the lumber rack.

Wow, Dan! that is quite a tricked out table saw!

I wish I could help you with the outfeed table, but mine folds down with a piano hinge to save space.

I know this is somewhat if a hijack, but can you tell me about your overarm system? I'm thinking about making my own that hangs from the ceiling just like yours.

Thanks!

An easy one!

I purchased the top at a scratch and dent sale and made the base out of basic 4x4's and plywood that I had laying around. I use for glue ups and now I store a ton of jigs and other things on it. I can roll it around the shop as needed too. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=95844
    Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night
    -Poe

I don't have an outfeed table to show, as my saw has to stay mobile because my shop is a working 2 car garage. I have spent a great deal of time thinking about what I'm going to do when I get a bigger shop though.

I would go with 4' wide, as that would let you rip a sheet of plywood and have it fully supported. I would go with drawers, or cabinets, as they will keep stray sawdust of their contents. I hate getting out a tool, and then having to blow off the saw dust. The only other thing I would recommend would be to incorporate a power strip, as you can never have enough of those either.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Forman View Post
    Here is the area I have to work with. I might only go 4 feet wide, which let me keep the trash can where it is now, which is a pretty handy location for the rest of the shop too. I have 66" from saw to the workbench, which would give me 3 feet of space between them with the new table, which I think is workable.
    -Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Hildenbrand View Post
    Are your eyes that bad or do you need to identify drawer contents from 50 feet away?

Hey Dan how do you like that Incra fence system? Pro's & Con's.

Cheers,

Josh