Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Homasote?

It's hard to find now. Noplace around here has it, I'd have to drive 40 minutes to get any. After what I've read here, probably not worth it. But Norm did use it for a ceiling in the garage workshop episode, and it looked something like drywall.

I would like to use something not too heavy, since I will have to put it up myself and lift it over my head on a ladder. (My ceiling is only 8' high, but I'm only 5' high )

Laurie,

It is probably worth your time to at least find some Homasote and see what it is. Then you can judge for yourself if it will be appropriate for your ceiling covering project. It is certainly lighter than drywall, probably weighs half as much or less, but has some negatives as previously mentioned.

Have you checked your local Home Depot or Lowes? I know the HD in my area carries 1/2" Homasote.

Good luck,

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Laurie Brown View Post

I would like to use something not too heavy, since I will have to put it up myself and lift it over my head on a ladder. (My ceiling is only 8' high, but I'm only 5' high )
    Just go to a tool rental (maybe your local BORG has them) and rent a drywall lift makes it an easy one person job whether you decide on drywall, OSB or whatever.

A couple of years back Norm built the "rolling assembly table" with a homasote replaceable top. I liked the assembly table so much I built the same table for my shop. The reasoning Norm said for the homasote top was when using a router on the table if the router bit would accidentally hit the table, it would not hurt the router bit as badly as other materials.

5. Ceiling strapping in new yankee workshop

Quote Originally Posted by Laurie Brown View Post
    Also, why use strapping? Couldn't I just attach whatever material I want to use directly to the studs and joists?
    Norm use the strapping to hold up the bat insulation before installing the ceiling material

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Whitchurch View Post
    Norm use the strapping to hold up the bat insulation before installing the ceiling material
    It's also a built in chase, which makes running some things much easier in ceilings. I like it along the wall/ceiling joint for crown installation as well.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Necrothread

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Whitchurch View Post
    Hey ummm, Guys? This thread is 10 years old and Larie hasn't logged on since December.....
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”