Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Schwarz/Roubo Try Square?

Schwarz/Roubo Try Square?

Just downloaded the Chris Schwarz article in PWW on the Roubo try square. I think I'll attempt to churn out a couple this weekend. Has anyone already done this? -Jerry

Indeed, I made one try square in the style but befor Schwarz article! they are fun to make and fairly easy to and I'm sure if you follow the article, you wont have any problem!

Quote Originally Posted by jerry nazard View Post
    Just downloaded the Chris Schwarz article in PWW on the Roubo try square. I think I'll attempt to churn out a couple this weekend. Has anyone already done this? -Jerry
    Not based on Schwarz's article, but I've done a couple .

Love the Roubo square

I haven’t read Christopher Schwarz’s article but I downloaded a PDF copy of the Roobio pamphlet last year and spent some time turning out working copies of several of the depicted marking and measuring tools. I love the decorative elements in everything. One of the try squares started off life as a beautiful 10” version but didn’t survive a misplaced mallet blow.
    BAW Roobio square.jpg
    Last edited by Bruce Whitehouse; 01-07-2010 at 10:26 AM.

Not all Wood, I prefer Brass for the Blades.

I also have a 45 and a dovetail marker with brass beams, but no pics.

all of the above are about 20 years old.
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

I liked Cherubini's article on the squares a little more. Chris' article gave more step-by-step, but Cherubini's dealt with how to use them. Specifically, how to work with their accuracy, or presumed lack thereof.

Nice work, Harry! Is that a custom brand (your bowsaw), or did you carve it in. I think I recognize it from the Traditional Tools forum.
    Mark Maleski

I brand all the tools I make with it,so they won't be mistaken for antiques.
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

Hi,

I know this topic is a bit old, but I recently got the Schwarz PDF on the Roubo try square which shows me how to make one using a table saw, which I don't have, so I was wondering if anyone had talked about how to make these who uses hand tools.

Also, I assume that the earlier reference to "Roobio pamphlet" should be: Roubo pamphlet. Where did you get it?

Thanks,

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by harry strasil View Post
    I brand all the tools I make with it,so they won't be mistaken for antiques.
    Eventually, of course, they will be antiques, and some future poster on whatever strange interconnective thing replaces the Intertubes will be asking if anyone recognizes this bowsaw symbol.

Good on you, Harry, for creating a future mystery...

And lovely tools.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Rob Marshall View Post
    Hi,

I know this topic is a bit old, but I recently got the Schwarz PDF on the Roubo try square which shows me how to make one using a table saw, which I don't have, so I was wondering if anyone had talked about how to make these who uses hand tools.

Also, I assume that the earlier reference to "Roobio pamphlet" should be: Roubo pamphlet. Where did you get it?

Thanks,

Rob
    Adam Cherubini wrote an A&M article several years ago about making & using wooden squares, using only hand tools of course.
    http://www.popularwoodworking.com/ar...ract?aid=12903

But really it's the same process. Just replace the table saw cuts in Chris' article with hand saw cuts and a chisel (i.e. for the bridle joint). Other than that, the process is no different.

11. I made several of them and did a blog post showing the process.

http://www.woodnbits.com/making-wood...o-try-squares/
    Cheers --- Larry "aka Woodnbits"
    http://www.woodnbits.com/blog

Hi Larry,

Thanks for the pointer, but I got an "Error 404: Page not found" when I tried it, but I did find it by going to your blog and searching. The address I have is: http://www.woodnbits.com/?p=1922.

Great looking squares...That's a really odd sounding expression

Rob

Hi Bob,

Yeah, that's what I figured, I just thought that maybe someone would, if they hadn't already, do a "hand-tools version" of the Schwarz article...Or even something like a podcast on how to make your own marking tools...hint, hint

Thanks again,

Rob

Oh, one more thing about Larry's blog posts...for some reason the images aren't showing up in Firefox. It seems to work fine with IE and Google Chrome...not sure why that is. Probably some differences in the way the HTTP is being parsed by Firefox...nothing like a non-standard standard, or a standard with non-standard extensions

Rob

15. Quote Originally Posted by Rob Marshall View Post
    Hi Bob,
    Or even something like a podcast on how to make your own marking tools...hint, hint
    It's on the list of shows to do. Some of the content is even filmed already .

However, I have a B&C demo I'm preparing for a local club at the moment, so it won't be until after that. Maybe sometime in late Nov. if all goes well.