Thread: stone help

stone help

Hello everyone. New here to the forum and my only regert is that I haven't joined ealier. The information here is outstanding and saves a lot of testing. I have been engraving for a year now and haven't tried marble or slate yet. I have a quick job that I don't have much time to test with.
    I need to do a plaque on stone for a friend of my son's who died. I have a epiliog helix 35 watt laser. I have a few test pices of slate from lazerbits.
    Any suggestions on speed and power. And if you seal the image after the burn.

Hi Joe; Welcome.. As for the slate.. I would use one of your test pieces for just that purpose, every machine will be a bit different. I don't know if your doing a photo, or just text. A photo can be a bit trickier, but text should be pretty forgiving.. I would start with the same setting i use for Granite and the LaserSketch 'Marble'(not really marble).. As for sealing, yup I would seal it. Inside it protects from fingers, and spills, outside, from everything else..
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

Thanks Bill . Got it last night wasn't that bad used a 27 100 setting. Was a late night but the photo was there for the family. I used a sealer on it for tile floors hope it holds out. Yea my sons friend was seventeen so we wanted something special. Ran tests on some small pieces then taped it with masking tape and made a very light burn, to make sure everything was good and went for it.. Turned out good. Thanks for your help.

Slate

Joseph
    When I engrave slate I precoat with either Lacquer or Polyurathine
    ( oil base) this seems to make the pic pop more. Tried it both ways and precoating worked the best for me
    ken
    Epilog Laser, CNC equipment, Corel X3 & 4, Aspire