Thread: "Forced contributions" ?

Question "Forced contributions" ?

I got an email form "sawmill creek" telling me that my time was about to expire. If I didn't extend my "Annual Contribution" "access would be removed."

Is this true?
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

Contributors have access to more areas of the forums than those of us who are "just" regular members. I would expect that this would mean that one your "Contributor" status lapses, you would then be limited to just those same areas as "Regular" members. I don't see anything sinister in the notice.
    The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
    - Marcus Aurelius ---------------------------------------- ------------- [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Being a contributor gets you a few little perks, which most people don't use. Like posting in the classified ads. Not much, there's a reason why almost nobody is a contributor. There was a rather long, emotional thread in the private contributor's forum last week about this. For most people (like me) the only reward is a nice fuzzy.

Byron,

Previously Contributors renewed every November. Now it's based on a 12 month calander from the time you contribute. Contributors wanted to be notified when their Contributor membership was about to expire. You just got the automatic software notice.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Hey Byron,
    This is not intended to force you into contributing at all. It's just a reminder. It is a response to many requests from those who choose to contribute...and as a long timer and helpful poster here you know you can enjoy a few extra perks...and show respect for what Keith's family has done to take on this adventure...and make it the biggest woodworking forum. But as always...It's your choice...
    Last edited by Glenn Clabo; 01-04-2010 at 1:42 PM.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Holmes View Post
    Being a contributor gets you a few little perks, which most people don't use. Like posting in the classified ads. Not much, there's a reason why almost nobody is a contributor. There was a rather long, emotional thread in the private contributor's forum last week about this. For most people (like me) the only reward is a nice fuzzy.
    I look at a forum like shareware...

If I like the "software" and use it daily, I will "pay" for it. If I dont like it I dont.

Since I use it daily here, with or without the "bonuses" I will keep it going...

Perfect Dennis.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

I frequent and spend more time reading SMC than any magazine I subscribe to, and the amount of information contained here is a great resource. The fact that images and threads posted here remain indefinitely further that. Many forums are just a sea of links to expired threads and posts where all the images just link to expired photo bucket accounts.

I don't contribute because of the extra perks, and to me those are the least of my concerns. I contribute because I know how much of a resource this forum is to me and many others, and that alone makes it worth far more than the cost of admission.

The Shareware analogy fits perfectly.
    Last edited by Michael Schwartz; 01-04-2010 at 4:10 PM.
    Hardware - Shopbot PRSstandard 48x96 with PC router.
    Software - Aspire 2.5, Partworks, Cut 3D, Photo V-Carve
    Open Source/Free - Inkscape, Open Office.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Clabo View Post
    Perfect Dennis.

I second Dennis' comments. The amount of information and leads I get here far outweighs the small contribution.

Smile Please . . .

Please tell me when I am due . . .

How else will I know it is time for a new hat.

I give them away to other woodworkers who are unaware of this resource.

"Spread the word about Sawmill Creek"

Steve
    Support the "CREEK" . . .

It is indeed the automated "subscription reminder" email from the forum software. To check on your remaining days, just click on your UserCP.
    _Aaron_
    SawmillCreek Administrator