Thread: Shop Tools

Shop Tools

I finally got around to making a couple of tool racks and a donut chuck. The tool racks were made from some leftover plywood and I painted them to improve the look. I copied a design posted a while back by Jeff Wright. It is simple and very funtional.

Question on the donut chuck - I was thinking of added a rubber pad to the base for a better hold. Those of you that have made them, what have you done?

Thanks for looking.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Greg - nice tool rack and chuck!

I have a piece of closed cell foam that I glued to the base of my donut chuck. Pretty sure I picked it up at Michael's Craft Store and used contact cement to adhere it. Been using it for a few years now and still is holding up well!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I used cork on mine. Used spray glue to stick it down.

Use an old mouse pad from your computer stockpile. Just cut to the shape you wish and spray or contact cement.

Greg nice looking tool rack and donut chuck. I went to wally world and got some drawer liner. Works great and it is cheap.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Nice stuff Greg!

I need build the same things for my shop. Mind if I borrow some ideas from you?

Doug

Rubber-like mesh packing material, but don't know where I got it.
    Richard in Wimberley

Quote Originally Posted by Doug W Swanson View Post
    Nice stuff Greg!

I need build the same things for my shop. Mind if I borrow some ideas from you?

Doug
    Feel free to copy - I got my ideas from other members here.

Nice looking tool rack and donut chuck. I used 1/4" cork on the face of my chuck, attached with double sided tape.
    Is that Tygon tubing around the donut hole?

I would offer the following suggestions:

1. Foam on board with circles help positioning the bowl, and super soft foam tends to take a set and make repositioning hard.
    2. Use 6 bolt pattern on different diameters for larger bowls and 3 bolt for smaller bowls. 3 bolts are easier to level than 4, and 3 normally work OK
    3. Make extra donut plates when you make the chuck to allow for different size holes. Much easier to gang drill several plates the first time. I used carriage orbolts and drove the square shank into the holes prior to use to hold the bolts later in use.
    4. Make a rack to hold bolts of different lenghts. My rack has 6 of 3" to 6" bolts, washers, and wing nuts plus some 6" all thread sections with coupling nuts for longer application.
    5. Make the chuck as large as you can swing. Mine currently will only handle a 14" bowl due to the size of scrap I used and my swing is 20".
    6. I saw Kelly Dunn's Straka Chuck when in Hawaii a couple of years ago and he had 3 holes near the center where he could shine a light to check thickness on his translucent bowls. You can use a Forstner bit drilling at an angle just outside the faceplate for the holes. You then need a strong light behind the plate.

I also use the drawer liners, but I found a wet suit at a garage sale ($2.00), so I will probably change it out.

Roy
    Walk fast and look worried.