Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 18th century curly maple secretary

I don,t know how I miss that? this is ... I don't know what to say... Outstanding...
    How long have you been woodworking for? Is there any mistake, misshape, that you could share, just to make me feel better?
    Thank you for sharing this, it's realy inspiering!

Mr. Sansone the surely doesn't suck...... you need an apprentice?
    "In a World of Compromise, some Don't!"

Outstanding! I'm completely blown away. I could do much worse than to aspire to your level of craftsmanship.

Thanks for the great photos.

-Mike

Wow, color , cut , grain , form and workmanship !!
    "He who saves one life, saves the world entire"

WOW simply amazing WOW again

Quote Originally Posted by lou sansone View Post
    I usually do all of my own plans for pieces from photos from books. but this time I used some plans in FWW- what a mess! there were several mistakes in those plans ( no need to bash the guy who made the plans - we all make mistakes, but some of these were real doozies ) which caused me a real pain! never again will i use someone else's plans.

you are better off doing your own full size plans for complicate pieces like this.

can you make a piece like this? no problem. just take your time and you will get there. do some smaller pieces first to gain confidence and you should be fine.

best wishes
    lou
    Lou,

Very nice work, kind of interesting to see the secretary done in another wood. I know exactly what FWW issues the desk came from and I will not tell either.. As you know sometimes there was a great amount of detail in the plans, some times you had to infer the proper measurements and sometime, well you know..

7. Did you use a plan? If so, from whom? I thought I saw a design similar in FWW a while ago.

Great work!

Bill

Labor hours?

So how many hours do you estimate you have in this heirloom?

Great work, Lou.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Lou,

That is stunning work. I only hope to make something that nice in my lifetime.

Josh

11. Stunning piece Lou.

Another wonderful piece. There's some real eye candy in this forum lately. Thanks for sharing it with us.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

Lou,

I think I just got those same plans today in the mail. Were they the ones on a data cd that are in pdf format? If those are the same ones, any specific areas I need to look out for? Thanks,

thanks for the complements.

plans were found in FWW. I really did not like using other folks plans. it is a waste of time in my opinion. you have to double check then anyway and i usually draw many parts full scale to make sure they will fit together. so after futzing around with other plans, and not being able to read someone's mind, on some parts of the plan, why not just draw your own. the prospect door and compartment is the area where folks get skunked. there is a spacer block on the right hand side that is needed to allow the slide out box to get past the hinges. but the plans are not that clear on that detail and one can miss that fact, like I did. ended up with an extra prospect box with drawers sitting on the shelf as a good reminder that the devil is in the details

keep making dust

lou

Desk Question for Lou

Lou
    I am building a similar desk and I wondered?? Did you put locks on all of the drawers in the desk? I'm just not sure if its worth the cost/trouble?

In the past(3 other desks) I have installed locks and found I reall don't use them. I'm thinking I will install a lock in the small top drawer and establish the escutcheon plate position based on the lock pin position.

Any thoughts?

dan