Thread: Need recommendation DW733 or TP1300 Planer??

Need recommendation DW733 or TP1300 Planer??

I have been in the market for a planer for about a year since recently taking up the hobby of woodworking. I have built a few cabinets, shelves, picture frames, etc.. I have been a DIY'er for sometime and enjoy the accomplishments that project bring.

I have looked at both the Dewalt 700 models and the Ridgid TP1300 models. Recently a pawn shop went out of business and had both a DW733 Type 1 and a Ridgid TP1300 (older gray model). I checked them both out, ran some wood through them and they both seem to run well. I was able to purchase both for $240.00 and the owner through in a Ridgid R2720 belt sander. Based on some of the prices in my area of these planers, I feel like I got a pretty good deal. I am planning on cleaning both up, keeping 1 and selling the other. I am leaning towards keeping the Ridgid because it is a little cleaner and seems to be a bit more taken care of.

Based on the reviews both seem to be good Benchtop planers and good for starters. Any recommendations on the one I should keep?? Any other recommendations on cleaning or tuning up these planers?

I would greatly appreciate any advice!

Thanks,
    Russ

sounds like a steal. I have a dw733 that i paid $175 for, i somewhat knew the guy and it was more or less his backup planer so it didn't have much use. Like you said i have heard good things about both, so if you think the ridgid is in a little better shape i would stick with it. I'm happy with my dw733, once i got the blades sharpened and in/outfeed tables adjusted it leaves a great finsh and virtually no snipe, as long as i don't forget to lock down the cutterhead. Maybe clean them up and get both tuned up better than new and have do your own comparison.

I have the newer Ridgid, orange and gray, and I probably would give $240 for that alone, in good shape. It's a good planer, I have had no complaints. The biggest job I've given mine is to run 1400 square feet of roughsawn 5/4 pine for flooring, and a whole house full of trim - baseboards, casings and jambs. It took over where a bigger Powermatic failed.
    Jon Endres
    Killing Trees Since 1983

How about blades for the Ridgid?

I don't have either one but I seem to recall that Home Depot was the only source for planer blades for Ridgid planers and they didn't always have stock. This may well be a non-issue but might be worth checking on.

Sounds like you did great! Both planers are well regarded workhorses. Keep the one you like best...heck, at that price, keep both! Gang them!
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I think Id stick with the 733 just because the blades are easier to locate (lowes) and in fact in every lowes near me they are on clearance for 30.00 or so per pack.

They are THICK so they should last a very long time, and AFAIK you can resharpen them when you need to.

Good find, If you can afford the space & $$$ then one option is to keep two.

One planer will be used on rough or dirty lumber (to get blade knicks and stuff like that), then the better one will be used to finish the work for smooth results.

Otherwise I'd compare the two planers by thicknessing a 10-12" wide board and see which one does a better job.

My decision would be based on snipe, how even of a job it does at thicknessing, and how the motor handles wide hardwood.

I would have to agree with the blade-finding issues being a problem. I have a TP1300 and though I love it like a son, it can be difficult to find blades for it. They are only found at HD unless you can find some on eBay, which is rare. My local HDs have them on occasion and when they do, I will usually mug the display for 3 or 4 sets. I have 3 HDs within 45 mins and it seems that if 1 is out, they're all out. Other than that issue, I love my 1300. (I actually upgrades from a DW733).

John
    ...And now, back to your regularly scheduled shop time...