Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DeWalt DW735 Planer won't feed

Totally did not know that, thanks... not sure why it wouldn't be fully engaged, but bears checking, and worth knowing! Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Scharle View Post
    One other thing is the speed control lever. If it's not fully seated the rollers won't turn, but I suppose you already knew that.

Smile

Bob, when I cleaned my rollers with mineral spirit I could not turn them by hand. I had to plug it in and tap the switch to get the rollers to turn enough to clean. Be careful, and unplug after every tap on the switch. Wow, that would be one awful wound.

I would guess that the bushings on the end of the rubber rollers are binding. This could be because of the cold or you could have some gunk in them or a combination of both. I have the DW735 now but did have a DW733 which has the same bushings on the roller shafts. On the older machine, the rolls bound up in the bushings and actually broke a drive socket. I ended up replacing the bushings and that solved the problem.

Take a look at the exploded drawing of the DW735 and you can see the bushings. You should try warming up the machine and see if the rollers turn. If you have been having this problem for awhile, it may be worth taking the bushings out for inspection and see if there is any damage on the inside of them.

Good Luck

Thanks, that was going to be me next question, how exactly do people clean those rollers if they don't turn easily... appreciate the info, cheers!!

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Vogel View Post
    Bob, when I cleaned my rollers with mineral spirit I could not turn them by hand. I had to plug it in and tap the switch to get the rollers to turn enough to clean. Be careful, and unplug after every tap on the switch. Wow, that would be one awful wound.

Oh boy, that sounds hard... I'm not sure I'm equipped for that kind of thing, either tool-wise or expertise-wise... or is it no big deal? ... I don't have a lot of "machinery" related tools or skills... just the basics that got me through assembly of my shop tools over the past year...

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    I would guess that the bushings on the end of the rubber rollers are binding. This could be because of the cold or you could have some gunk in them or a combination of both. I have the DW735 now but did have a DW733 which has the same bushings on the roller shafts. On the older machine, the rolls bound up in the bushings and actually broke a drive socket. I ended up replacing the bushings and that solved the problem.

Take a look at the exploded drawing of the DW735 and you can see the bushings. You should try warming up the machine and see if the rollers turn. If you have been having this problem for awhile, it may be worth taking the bushings out for inspection and see if there is any damage on the inside of them.

Good Luck

Did you put your blades back in correctly?

Here's something obvious to check - I had a similar problem - it was really hard to feed in a board, and I had just flipped my blades too. It turned out that out of the three blades, I had flipped one and turned something around so that the blade or 'holder' was pushing against the board instead of a sharp blade cutting into it.

Check your blades again before you take anything else apart!

Dave

Good call, I'll definitely check for that... it WAS my first blade change (flip) so anything's possible...

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Stuve View Post

Check your blades again before you take anything else apart!

Dave

The 935 has the same problem as the 933, namely a small gear that drives the rollers breaks. If you raise the motor and observe the rollers when turned on you will find they are probably not turning.
    It takes an hour or so to change and cost a couple of dollars. Buy two, one for a spare.

You would think that a lousy company like Dewalt would fix a simple problem such as this in a new model but apparently not. EVERY dewalt product I have owned has been defective in one way or another. Solved the problem. no more yellow.

Yikes. Okay, that ALSO sounds like it might be what's going on... I'll confirm tomorrow if I can... one way or another... "it's just cold" may be just wishful thinking... those rollers aren't budging at all by the feel of things today... thanks for your thoughts!

Quote Originally Posted by fRED mCnEILL View Post
    The 935 has the same problem as the 933, namely a small gear that drives the rollers breaks. If you raise the motor and observe the rollers when turned on you will find they are probably not turning.
    It takes an hour or so to change and cost a couple of dollars. Buy two, one for a spare.

You would think that a lousy company like Dewalt would fix a simple problem such as this in a new model but apparently not. EVERY dewalt product I have owned has been defective in one way or another. Solved the problem. no more yellow.

I had the same problem just the other day. After raising the unit up to its full height, I tried to move the roller by hand, they were not moving at all. Then proceeded to remove the crank handle and the cover from the right side of the machine, there was saw dust and chips packed around the chain and sprocket. Once that was cleaned up and the roller cleaned, the unit works like new again. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Linse View Post
    I had the same problem just the other day. After raising the unit up to its full height, I tried to move the roller by hand, they were not moving at all. Then proceeded to remove the crank handle and the cover from the right side of the machine, there was saw dust and chips packed around the chain and sprocket. Once that was cleaned up and the roller cleaned, the unit works like new again. Good luck.
    thanks for reporting that this is possible, I will check mine periodically.
    Hardware - Shopbot PRSstandard 48x96 with PC router.
    Software - Aspire 2.5, Partworks, Cut 3D, Photo V-Carve
    Open Source/Free - Inkscape, Open Office.

It WORKS now!!

Well I don't know what exactly fixed it, which is the danger when you shotgun a bunch of possible soutions, but the planer is working like new again!

I first let it warm up as best it could for about 2 hours under the IR heater and a rather warm trouble lamp in the shop, which is otherwise at about -15C (5F) today.

Then I had the lid off again to check my knives and knife covers were all properly oriented, which they were. Otherwise, just blew a little more dust out and closed it back up.

Removed the right-side crank handle and panel, cleaned that little chain up a bit, though it wasn't bad, and replaced the panel and crank handle.

Wiped the rollers with a little paint thinner (mineral spirits). Cleaned around the edges of the rollers with a little brass brush to get some sawdust out, nothing major. And finally waxed and buffed the bed.

Lowered it down, plugged it in, and tried my same workpiece... went through like buttah, slick as you please...

So who knows exactly what happened, but I'm a happy guy now. THANK YOU ALL for all the great insights and info, REALLY appreciate it...

I have a feeling I'll be back soon... my Delta X5 jointer is due for some maintenance... B-/

13. Gear broke too

Quote Originally Posted by fRED mCnEILL View Post

My planer was bogging down and I should have sharpened the blades and waxed the base but you know how that goes, anyway the rollers stopped moving at all, and when i took off the gear box cover (left side) i noticed the gear snapped in two.
    Learned my lesson, getting an extra set of blades, and will wax the base. Thanks for the info.
    Dan